Optometry students - typical schedule

Started by mvstudent
This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

mvstudent

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I'm considering optometry or pharmacy as a career but I would like to know what is the typical daily schedule over a week's time at optometry school. When responding, please tell me your school and year.
 
im not a student yet...until august..but if you click on optometry above and click on optometry blogs u can read about the day to day life of an optometry student🙂
 
Hello,
I'm considering optometry or pharmacy as a career but I would like to know what is the typical daily schedule over a week's time at optometry school. When responding, please tell me your school and year.

Pacific 1st year

This semester...

Lecture: 4 hours per day/4 days week, 2.5 hours the other day
Lab: 6 2-hr labs per week, spread out so that you generally have an afternoon or two off per week, or at least a few hour break.

Classes start at 8 in the morning, and our latest lab runs until 7pm (only one day of the week, others end at 5pm). Depending on the skills being learned in procedures, there can be a fair amount of practice time after hours (building open until 10pm). I think we have something like 21 credits this semester? You lose track after a certain point, and just go blindly wherever they tell you to.😉 I'm also taking a night class for a Master's in Education - Visual Function in Learning. Luckily, it's only two hours once a week!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
if you're debating between the two careers, try to figure out which field you are most passionate about through experience/volunteerism. i think that's most important. hopefully, the typical schedule, or number of hours/credits required will not be the determining factor 😉

but to get an idea of workload, check out the website for each school you are interested in. they should list the amount of credits/lab/clinic hours per quarter, per year.

you can go to this website: http://opted.org/info_links.cfm to see a list of the schools.
 
Hello,
I'm considering optometry or pharmacy as a career but I would like to know what is the typical daily schedule over a week's time at optometry school. When responding, please tell me your school and year.

I'm an SCCO 1st year, and classes usually start at 9 AM. If it is an exam day, the exam is administered at 8 AM. Most days I'm in class until around 4 PM, and all times between I'm studying, sleeping, or procrastinating 😀. It's not unusual to study in a Friday afternoon/evening too since a lot of people tend to have things going on during the weekend (i.e. family/significant other stuff).
 
First year, UC Berkeley.

This semester:
Monday
8-9 Preclinic lecture
9-11 Preclinic lab
11-1 Optics lab
(we used to have an anatomy class 4-6, but it was only 1/2 semester)

Tuesday
8-9.30 Optics lecture
10-12 BV lecture
12-1 optics discussion
2-4 problem based learning (not everyone goes at this time)

Wed
8-9 Preclinic lecture
2-4 Preclinic lab
(we used to have an anatomy lab 11-1, but it was only 1/2 semester)

Thursday
8-9.30 Optics lecture
10-12 BV lecture
12-1 business class
2-4 problem based learning (not everyone goes at this time)

Friday
10-12 preclinic lab
1-3 BV lab


Our schedule is much much better now that anatomy is done, it's a lot of time, but doable.
 
Monday:
8:00-8:50 Ocular Optics
9:00-9:50 A & P of the Eye
10:00-10:50 Clinical Optometry I Lecture
11:00-11:50 A & P and Disease Process II lecture
1:00-4:00 Biochemistry

Tuesday:
8:00-8:50 Ocular Optics (optional/extra help time)
9:00-9:50 Physical Optics
10:00-10:50 A & P of the Eye
11:00-11:50 A & P and Disease Process II lecture
1:00 - 2:50 A & P of the Eye Lab

Wednesday
9:00-9:50 Ocular Optics
3:00-4:50 A & P and Disease Process II lab

Thursday
10:00-10:50 Physical Optics
11:00-11:50 A & P and Disease Process II lecture
1:00-2:50 Ocular Optics Lab
3:00-4:50 Clinical Optometry I Lab

Friday
9:00-9:50 Ocular Optics
10:00-10:50 A & P of the Eye lecture
11:00-11:50 A & P and Disease Process II lecture
1:00-2:50 (only meets 8x during semester) "Case Based Discovery for Developing Clinician)

-----------------------
As others have said, the schedule is daunting, but it can be done...