Jul 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hi! I have heard that there are multiple summer programs hosted by optometry schools across the nation for pre-optometry schools. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what these programs are. I know for sure that ICO, UCBSO, and Ohio State all have programs. Are there anymore? If more do exist, does anyone know if they require you to be a racial minority? I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.

On another note:
In case anyone else is looking for similar programs, I did have the opportunity to attend the summer program at UCBSO and it was very informative and fun :)

Apr 17, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
Hi,
There is also a 6 week program at UHCO, TEXOCOP(Texas Optometry College Opportunity Program), which I attended this past May-June. It's an intensive program that mirrors the first 6 weeks of optometry school. You can find it on their website at: http://www.opt.uh.edu/students/undergrad/index.cfm. While in the program I took courses in Ocular Anatomy, Geometric Optics, and other optometry courses. It's a really great program that helps make it's participants more competitive for admission to optometry school. I hope this helps :)

Also, it is for students that are minorities as well as students that are economically and academically disadvantaged.

hfpepperbean47

You wish you were me
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2007
Status
Optometry Student
PCO (Salus) has a summer program as well - SEP or Summer Enrichment Program. I don't know much about it, however, but do know it has been going on for about 30 years or so.

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
anyone know if SUNY has one? i see a CSTEP on there page but i dont even know if its still on going.

OP
S
Jul 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
The SUNY website has a place where they are currently accepting online applications for CSTEP so it must still be a program. It is only for new york state residents though.

zyg0te

10+ Year Member
Jan 16, 2007
Status
Optometrist
Hi! I have heard that there are multiple summer programs hosted by optometry schools across the nation for pre-optometry schools. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what these programs are. I know for sure that ICO, UCBSO, and Ohio State all have programs. Are there anymore? If more do exist, does anyone know if they require you to be a racial minority? I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.

On another note:
In case anyone else is looking for similar programs, I did have the opportunity to attend the summer program at UCBSO and it was very informative and fun :)
That's racist.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
Status
Optometry Student
I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.
Which programs specifically were you declined from? Did they give you the reasoning in writing?

OP
S
Jul 25, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
They said that their funding only covered ethnic minorities and that they would be unable to help someone who qualifies as a minority for any other reason