Jul 25, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hi! I have heard that there are multiple summer programs hosted by optometry schools across the nation for pre-optometry schools. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what these programs are. I know for sure that ICO, UCBSO, and Ohio State all have programs. Are there anymore? If more do exist, does anyone know if they require you to be a racial minority? I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.

On another note:
In case anyone else is looking for similar programs, I did have the opportunity to attend the summer program at UCBSO and it was very informative and fun :)

Apr 17, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hi,
There is also a 6 week program at UHCO, TEXOCOP(Texas Optometry College Opportunity Program), which I attended this past May-June. It's an intensive program that mirrors the first 6 weeks of optometry school. You can find it on their website at: http://www.opt.uh.edu/students/undergrad/index.cfm. While in the program I took courses in Ocular Anatomy, Geometric Optics, and other optometry courses. It's a really great program that helps make it's participants more competitive for admission to optometry school. I hope this helps :)

Also, it is for students that are minorities as well as students that are economically and academically disadvantaged.

hfpepperbean47

You wish you were me
10+ Year Member
Apr 10, 2007
Status
  1. Optometry Student
PCO (Salus) has a summer program as well - SEP or Summer Enrichment Program. I don't know much about it, however, but do know it has been going on for about 30 years or so.

About the Ads

EyEnStein 07

Senior ɸ Member
10+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2008
East Coast
Status
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
anyone know if SUNY has one? i see a CSTEP on there page but i dont even know if its still on going.

Jul 25, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Optometry
The SUNY website has a place where they are currently accepting online applications for CSTEP so it must still be a program. It is only for new york state residents though.

Jan 16, 2007
Status
  1. Optometrist
Hi! I have heard that there are multiple summer programs hosted by optometry schools across the nation for pre-optometry schools. I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what these programs are. I know for sure that ICO, UCBSO, and Ohio State all have programs. Are there anymore? If more do exist, does anyone know if they require you to be a racial minority? I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.

On another note:
In case anyone else is looking for similar programs, I did have the opportunity to attend the summer program at UCBSO and it was very informative and fun :)

That's racist.

blysssful

SUNY c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2007
NYC
Status
  1. Optometry Student
I have applied in the past to some of the mentioned programs and was declined from one on the basis of being caucasian. Therefore, I would like to know if I would qualify for them.

Which programs specifically were you declined from? Did they give you the reasoning in writing?

Jul 25, 2009
Status
  1. Pre-Optometry
They said that their funding only covered ethnic minorities and that they would be unable to help someone who qualifies as a minority for any other reason

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads