Optometry to Dentistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Why don't they correct the income figure ? or atleast indicate that it was a "selective" survey.

Can't the AOA be sued for Fraud or something ? Afterall, they are publishing false information to there advantage.

IMO, a fraud lawsuit would be a slam dunk. Get a bunch of your classmates together a few years after graduation and compare salaries to the numbers posted by the AOA and your local Optometry schools. I guarantee it will be an eye opening experience. Pun intended.

One definition of fraud:

Intentional misrepresentation or concealment of information in order to deceive or mislead. It is illegal.

Members don't see this ad.

IMO, a fraud lawsuit would be a slam dunk. Get a bunch of your classmates together a few years after graduation and compare salaries to the numbers posted by the AOA and your local Optometry schools. I guarantee it will be an eye opening experience. Pun intended.

One definition of fraud:

Intentional misrepresentation or concealment of information in order to deceive or mislead. It is illegal.

Well, I would if I could, file the lawsuit during the four years of optometry school rather than after.

But I don't understand something. If OD's are complaining about the debt/salaries etc. then why don't they take the action described above ? Unfortunately there the ones who are recieveing the left overs and they should not expect an optometry student/grad to clean up the mess. Surely, they would be taken more seriously then a new grad or an optometry student.

Furthermore, the degree of seriousness would be dependent on many factors, for example race, EC...theres definetly a lot more. Finding the absolute perfect candidate who will ultimatley hinder the AOA's lies who meets the extensive criteria would be slim to none, as nothing has been done yet, and I don't think it will be a recent grad/student, instead a nationwide collaboration of some sort between OD's/MD's(helping us will help them in a way) and students would actually deviate the lies the AOA tells us into unarguable facts.

One definition of fraud:

Good luck proving intent. This is really a matter of caveat emptor. If you're going to enter this profession based on the incomes stated by AOA survey then maybe you should actually look at the survey and identify its short comings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Good luck proving intent. This is really a matter of caveat emptor. If you're going to enter this profession based on the incomes stated by AOA survey then maybe you should actually look at the survey and identify its short comings.

err...is the vocabulary used in your second sentence common knowledge ?

err...is the vocabulary used in your second sentence common knowledge ?

it means buyer beware... I came across it in my undergraduate law class

People also see the dentist almost 3x as often as an OD, if they even ever see an eye doctor before they are 40.

Denstists can make $2000 for half an hour of work. An OD doesn't have this billing ability or the ability to balance bill.

I don't mean to point out your ignorance. What you just said is correct in some places. Also, dentists can up to a million a year in the most hidden and dinky offices, but you gotta look at the operating cost; like crown work, lidocaine, compounds etc. After all that, it comes down to 250-300k. Still, not bad...My dentist (bless that man) makes 120k but loses 60k to operating cost, because he's a good dentist.:p

No field is without negatives. One of my relatives who is a family practice doctor is bored and tired or treating "colds, GI problems, and other routine things." He is also tired of seeing 50 patients a day to make $140K a year. The DNP nurse practitioner (Doctor of Nursing Practice) is also a concern because they want to fill the gaps in primary care. That annoys him tremendously as he calls them (Bottom Feeders and Fakes.) Another friend of mine is an internist and he says his job "sucks" and he feels overworked and underappreciated and applauds my move to optometry in its ( more medically oriented modern iteration.) He makes $170K and in his own words "I deal with too much s h i t for what I do!." One of my brother's friends who started as a dentist HATED it and went back to medical school to become of all things, a colorectal surgeon! LOL We joke about how he started at one end of the GI tract and as now finishing at the other! LMAO

I for one would rather be an eye doctor working with eyes then buried in mouths all day long. Dentistry is a great field but I found my experience with dentistry to be unappealing and kind of gross! The same applies for podiatry as well. You have to ask yourself why medicine has not attempted to move into these fields----part of it is the fact that as a whole there is no interest on the part of medicine or medical students to "work" in the oral cavity or on "feet". The eye on the other hand is a "highly valued" body system!;)

From RPE to V5 the visual system kicks a s s!

Optometry is a great profession not a perfect one.:D