Optometry versus Pharmacy..which would you choose?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1plus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This post isn't meant to get any controversy started! It’s simply to get people's opinion concerning two great professions.

As the title would suggest, I'm in a real bind. I have to make a very difficult decision between pharmacy and optometry as a career. Both schools are in Ontario, Canada and I am planning on remaining in Ontario once my schooling is completed. There are a few older posts asking this question (optometry versus pharmacy), but none take the recent cuts that are taking place in community pharmacies of Ontario into consideration.

What is your opinion, which career would YOU go for if YOU had the choice? And why?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

This post isn't meant to get any controversy started! It’s simply to get people's opinion concerning two great professions.

As the title would suggest, I'm in a real bind. I have to make a very difficult decision between pharmacy and optometry as a career. Both schools are in Ontario, Canada and I am planning on remaining in Ontario once my schooling is completed. There are a few older posts asking this question (optometry versus pharmacy), but none take the recent cuts that are taking place in community pharmacies of Ontario into consideration.

What is your opinion, which career would YOU go for if YOU had the choice? And why?

My sister is a pharmacist in Ontario.

Your best bet really is going to be to ask as many ODs and pharmacists in Ontario what there thoughts are about their own profession. Others may chime in here but unfortunately, I think SDN is populated for the most part by American students training in American schools and expected to work in America.

As such, with some notable exceptions, most people on here won't be able to give you an adequate perspective on the particular question you're asking.

Thanks for your reply,
I see that you are an optometrist. Do you ever have any debates with your sister about the two professions? What is your opinion?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your reply,
I see that you are an optometrist. Do you ever have any debates with your sister about the two professions? What is your opinion?

Not really. We sometimes talk but health care is a very political field and the political differences between the two professions and the two countries make any meaningful comparison not really possible.

I know she enjoys being a pharmacist for the most part.
I enjoy being an OD for the most part.

So whatever works, I guess.

Kind of a funny question to ask in an optometry forum. I think most people will be biased in here ;). Anyways, have you done any shadowing? I would shadow both optometrists and pharmacists and see which one you could see yourself doing everyday for the rest of your life. That's the best place to start if you are having a hard time deciding.