optometry vs. audiology admissions GPA?

Started by Lu321
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Lu321

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hI

I'm just curious. I'm intrested in the career in optometry. When looking at the colleges of optometry, I noticed that the trend of avg. admitted GPA are around 3.0 to 3.5 (depending on the school).

However, just today, I was curious to look into audiology...but the GPA of the admitted class is pretty much 3.75 and above? This confused me since I've heard that its easier to get into audiology.

Can anyone explain this?
 
hI

I'm just curious. I'm intrested in the career in optometry. When looking at the colleges of optometry, I noticed that the trend of avg. admitted GPA are around 3.0 to 3.5 (depending on the school).

However, just today, I was curious to look into audiology...but the GPA of the admitted class is pretty much 3.75 and above? This confused me since I've heard that its easier to get into audiology.

Can anyone explain this?

The average GPA for an entering optometry student in 2006 was 3.43. www.opted.org

I'm going to guess that there aren't that many people familiar enough with audiology to comment on this issue. I'll freely admit that I know pracitically nothing about the field, but would gladly take any information that someone would like to share. Where did you find the GPA for the audiology classes?

Are you concerned with the competitiveness of the program because you worry about your own chances to get in, or because you want to ensure a certain level of prestige in your profession? Either way, each profession has its unique advantages and disadvantages... pick the career that's right for you.
 
hI

I'm just curious. I'm intrested in the career in optometry. When looking at the colleges of optometry, I noticed that the trend of avg. admitted GPA are around 3.0 to 3.5 (depending on the school).

However, just today, I was curious to look into audiology...but the GPA of the admitted class is pretty much 3.75 and above? This confused me since I've heard that its easier to get into audiology.

Can anyone explain this?

the requirements for an audiology program are different.
organice chemistry is not required. i don't think physics is either.
Au.D students usually major in communication sciences not suicidal chemistry/biology. 😉
 
the requirements for an audiology program are different.
organice chemistry is not required. i don't think physics is either.
Au.D students usually major in communication sciences not suicidal chemistry/biology. 😉

Many major in Speech Pathology and Audiology!