Optometry vs. Dentistry vs Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I tried to search the form for comparison of the three, but couldn’t find the exact info I’m looking for.

I was trying to find the spatiality that interests me the most. And just had some questions regarding the specialties.

1. Who is more respected Optometrist or Pharmacist or Dentist?
2. Do optometrists or dentist perform surgeries?
3. Who gets paid more for their work and also compare to MD? Specifically their salaries?
4. How many years of school do Optometrist and Dentist go through?

Thanks everyone, I’m sure this will help others too who are still deciding and not sure.

When did I say that these are the only questions I am looking at or the most important questions? These are some of the questions I want answeres to. Isn't this the place to ask questions regarding the fields? Do we have to go to all the other sub forms to get the answers? If you don't want to help then don't help. How can asking questions be shallow?

Members don't see this ad.

r123 said:
I tried to search the form for comparison of the three, but couldn’t find the exact info I’m looking for.

I was trying to find the spatiality that interests me the most. And just had some questions regarding the specialties.

3. Who gets paid more for their work and also compare to MD? Specifically their salaries?

Thanks everyone, I’m sure this will help others too who are still deciding and not sure.

You do realize that this is a forum for a specialty totally different than any of those? At any rate, you need to choose a job based on what interests you -- these three are all very different, as is MD. If you have the attitude that you just want to be a professional and don't care what, then time to start shadowing and see what each does. Don't choose based on salary, if you hate it, no amount of money can make it good. And which is respected more is irrelevant, unless you have big self esteem problems. Being proud of what you do comes from within, not externally.

I suggest doing more reading in their respective forums. You may not find a head to head comparison but I'm sure you're bright enough to synthesize the information yourself. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
r123 said:
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that these are such important questions to you. I guess it's cliched to say they're a little shallow and even so, they're important questions. But I personally think there's some truth to "money isn't everything". If you're interested in making a lot of money, you should go into finance; you'll be making six figures in three to four years and with at least $40K less debt. I think you would benefit to do some even cursory research on these professions, even if it's just online.

Anyway, to answer (4): Dentists require 4 years, optometrists 4 years, and Pharms 4 years (+ undergrad prepharm).

By the way, your public profile says that you're a medical student. Is that true? Dentistry, Pharm and Optometry are not medical specializations. They are all their own fields and as far as I know, being in an allopathic medical school will do nothing to get you into any of these programs.

uriel said:
To be honest, I'm a little surprised that these are such important questions to you. I guess it's cliched to say they're a little shallow and even so, they're important questions. But I personally think there's some truth to "money isn't everything". If you're interested in making a lot of money, you should go into finance; you'll be making six figures in three to four years and with at least $40K less debt. I think you would benefit to do some even cursory research on these professions, even if it's just online.

Anyway, to answer (4): Dentists require 4 years, optometrists 4 years, and Pharms 4 years (+ undergrad prepharm).

By the way, your public profile says that you're a medical student. Is that true? Dentistry, Pharm and Optometry are not medical specializations. They are all their own fields and as far as I know, being in an allopathic medical school will do nothing to get you into any of these programs.

I seriously don't know why you read so much into it. I never said that I am going for it for the money or that these are the most important questions I am considering. According to your post it looks like you are too picky and like to criticize others, how can you be good future doctor then?

r123 said:
I seriously don't know why you read so much into it. I never said that I am going for it for the money or that these are the most important questions I am considering. According to your post it looks like you are too picky and like to criticize others, how can you be good future doctor then?

In fairness to the prior poster, you started out by saying you were trying to find the specialty that interests you the most and then proceeded to ask questions about how much respect, how much you will make, and how long will it take. These are not really the right questions to ask when seeking a career. Figure out what role you see yourself in, what rocks your boat. Things like respect and money are secondary once you find a job that is palatable. And once you know what career you want, you spend whatever time it takes to get there. In that respect, you are asking the less important questions first, which some find misguided. Not to mention that none of those professions pertains to this board, and each of them has their own board on which you could ask questions. Good luck.

r123 said:
I seriously don't know why you read so much into it. . . According to your post it looks like you are too picky and like to criticize others, how can you be good future doctor then?
I sincerely apologize if I offended you, that wasn't my purpose. I do think we're all here to seek criticism and help, and I tried to offer both (I was the only one to directly answer any of your questions).

r123 said:
I never said that I am going for it for the money or that these are the most important questions I am considering.
Neither did I. And I did say that I think these questions are important, too.

Good luck with your career choice.

sorry, was trying to post on another thread, this window was just open and posted on wrong thread :rolleyes:

r123,

I think you have to understand that a lot of premed students are sensitive about the salary issue because some of them worry that others might think they are pursuing medicine because of money. For that reason, we tend to react the exact opposite way and speak so strongly that asking about salary is a sin or something.

But I agree that salary shouldn't be the primary reason for pursuing medicine, because it's a tough career. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with considering the salary level as a factor. So if you like saving people's lives and making a lot of money (and studying a lot) then hey, medicine might be the way to go for you.

www.salary.com is a good website to look at.

From what I see, MD's make the most money and the growth potential in the next ten years is pretty stable (although not too high). Dentists are making more money in average than optometrists or pharm, but the growth potential is a little bit less. And from what I remember, optometrists and pharms have similar figures.

Also, when you look at the salary level, do consider the avg working hours as well. Dentists, for example, work 30-40 hrs/week whereas a surgeon might work 50-60 hrs/week.

r123,

I think you have to understand that a lot of premed students are sensitive about the salary issue because some of them worry that others might think they are pursuing medicine because of money. For that reason, we tend to react the exact opposite way and speak so strongly that asking about salary is a sin or something. It's a psychology thing.

But I agree that salary shouldn't be the primary reason for pursuing medicine, because it's a tough career. At the same time, there's nothing wrong with considering the salary level as a factor. So if you like saving people's lives and making a lot of money (and studying a lot) then hey, medicine might be your thing.

www.salary.com is a good website to look at.

From what I see, MD's make the most money and the growth potential in the next ten years is pretty stable (although not too high). Dentists are making more money in average than optometrists or pharm, but the growth potential is a little bit less. And from what I remember, optometrists and pharms have similar figures.

Also, when you look at the salary level, do consider the avg working hours as well. Dentists, for example, work 30-40 hrs/week whereas a surgeon might work 50-60 hrs/week.

See http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=313905

i'm pretty sure you're either joking, trolling, full of $hit, or a complete schizo.
you started a thread called "Yes, I Am Doing Medicine For The Money!!!!!" and it's on the front page.

Money is the only reason I am going into medicine and it is my TOP PRIORITY. Everything else is secondary for me. I will be spending most of my life studying, and I don't mind. If it wasn't for the money, I think people wouldn't waste their time studying most of their life. People who say that they are ONLY going in it only to help other people are LYING because if you want to do that why don't you just become a priest or something else. That way you won't waste time in helping others. Right?

*Looks around* isn't this the pre allo forums?

To answer your questions...

Neither, they're not MD's so in truth they got to about their second or third year of undergrad and realized they couldn't hack it for medical school. Upon realizing this they chose something easier with lower standards so that they could still brag about being a doctor and making money.

If by surgery you mean pathetic attempts at acting like MD's then kind of.

None of them really get paid money, it's more like coupons for food, vehicles, and *sometimes* toiletries... Every MD will make far more money than any of these three could possibly imagine.

I don't know but not enough and it isn't nearly hard enough - that's why they don't have MD after their name.

Seriously man it's all on the internet these days its called google :) . I mean I don't want to rain on your parade but these are just stupid questions to be asking on a pre-medical forum (sorry I'm a bit frustrated just got done studying my cadaver all day and I'll probably regret these in the morning.

Neither, they're not MD's so in truth they got to about their second or third year of undergrad and realized they couldn't hack it for medical school. Upon realizing this they chose something easier with lower standards so that they could still brag about being a doctor and making money.

None of them really get paid money, it's more like coupons for food, vehicles, and *sometimes* toiletries... Every MD will make far more money than any of these three could possibly imagine.

I don't know but not enough and it isn't nearly hard enough - that's why they don't have MD after their name.

Seriously man it's all on the internet these days its called google :) . I mean I don't want to rain on your parade but these are just stupid questions to be asking on a pre-medical forum (sorry I'm a bit frustrated just got done studying my cadaver all day and I'll probably regret these in the morning.

sitting high up on your mighty horse, huh? :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user
BLEH!!!

somebody move this thread please.

according to another thread you posted on this preallo forum, i'd say the bolded section is a big fat lie. and besides medicine, your best shot at buying mommy a nice shiny house is by being a dentist. pharmacists and optometrist don't make as much on average.

if you make bold statements, then go back on them, how can you be good future doctor then?

I can guarantee you there are optometrists, pharmacists, and dentists out there that are smarter than you so be careful on that high horse or you might just suffer a hard fall off. I know of many friends who were accepted into top-tier med schools as well as allied health schools and chose the latter for various reasons.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight:rolleyes:

if you make bold statements, then go back on them, how can you be good future doctor then?

He who lives by the sword dies by yourmom25. Haha.

Anyway, yourmom25 is right about dentists making money. Many dentists make more than primary-care doctors. No, I do not have any evidence supporting my position. Doctors at a hospital I volunteer at tell me this all the time.