Optometry vs Pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confused321

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello

I understand that major states such as California and New York have a very saturated
market right now for pharmacy. I am unsure about what the field of optometry is like
in terms of saturation. Is the job outlook for optometry just as bad? they have only
around 20 schools so is it harder to get into? which career would have a higher salary
after taking into account the debt load due to student loans?
basically which would be a better option if I want to work in California?
I want to learn more about both jobs for my own knowledge thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

My uncle is an optometrist and my cousin is in optometry school. So this is what they said:

1) Job outlook is not as bad BUT there are a lot of retail optometry offices opening such as Eyemart, vision works, etc.

2) Compared to pharmacy right now, yes optometry is more competitive. It depends on the school as well though. My cousin had a 3.1 and 310 OAT and got into NSUOCO which has 28 seats available (may be the fewest seats in the country).

3) My uncle is in private practice and makes $100,000+ annually. But he opened his practice in 1993 and has built a patient base. My cousin said he expects to make $95,000 out of school. His wife worked so he does not take out living expenses and will graduate with $120,000 in loans. Everyone has a different situation though.

4) Optometry is very progressive in Oklahoma, Kentucky, and Louisiana. My advice is if you do not plan on living in one of those 3 states then avoid optometry because all you will do is refractions. You will not be able to PRK, SLT, YAG, or foreign body removals.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Pharmacy has oversupply and not enough jobs while optometry is moving into commercial optometry how pharmacy has done.
However, optometry is not fully commercial yet so it still has a better outlook than pharmacy
Although it is still difficult, it is still easier to start private practice as an optometrist but income is declining so pharmacists make more on average.
optometry is trying to expand their scope of practice so that they can perform surgery, this is unlikely to happen since thats the focus of an ophthalmologists
it is definitely more difficult to get accepted into optometry school, optometry doesn't have diploma mills like pharmacy.
both pharmacy and optometry have seen better days but as of right now optometry will be a better investment with greater return.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users