Optometry working with Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Schroder79

1.5 years to go!!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Pacific University offers its students the opportunity to earn a M.Ed along with an OD by taking some extra classes. This chance is mostly advertised by the department of education as an opportunity to work with schools more effectively by understanding how to communicate with the teachers. In other words, learning to understand the tests used by educators and being exposed to the classroom settings with the teachers help prepare us.
First off, I think this is a great idea. My last name is long enough already so I'm not just looking to add more letters to it. But rather currently the majority of the population is in school, meaning that is where the patients are. As my professor put it, most of our eyes were designed for hunting food while currently the way to survive is by written communication. The computer is soo big in education now days.
So my question is, how have you been able to tap this resource for you practices? Recently another professor discussed working up opportunities to do screenings at businesses for a price that will be synergistic with your practice and the business. Obviously there are legal aspects pending, but I think its another great idea. Have any of you tried anything similar? Most importantly, how have you built the profession and helped to secure its foothold in the public?

Members don't see this ad.