OR shoes without socks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agranulocytosis

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Who here rocks them? Right now I'm on a CT elective and a couple of the attendings here operate without socks. This is the first time I've ever seen anyone wearing clogs without socks.

Is it tradtionally a CT thing or do I have yet to experience more of the older guard's style of wearing shoes?

Truth be told, it looks very awkward.

Members don't see this ad.

an attending i know ended up w/ sepsis in the ICU on a vent for a while b/c he wasn't wearing shoe covers and some juice from a D&I spilled on his shoes. apparently he had a blister on his foot.

after seeing this firsthand, i will always wear shoe covers, socks, and real shoes in the or.

I actually saw one of our cardiac guys without socks on the other day and thought it was really bizarre, but maybe it is a culture thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
I actually saw one of our cardiac guys without socks on the other day and thought it was really bizarre, but maybe it is a culture thing.

socks get expensive and for CT, reimbursement is falling and procedures are few and far between. Some children in poverty stricken areas go without shoes even or tie cardboard to their feet for protection. This is a move I expect to see more and more CT attendings making in the near future. You should do something proactive about it...maybe a "sock drive" to collect some then make an annonymous donation to the dept.

socks get expensive and for CT, reimbursement is falling and procedures are few and far between. Some children in poverty stricken areas go without shoes even or tie cardboard to their feet for protection. This is a move I expect to see more and more CT attendings making in the near future. You should do something proactive about it...maybe a "sock drive" to collect some then make an annonymous donation to the dept.

I now have envisioned Dynx being the spokesman for a CT surgeon infomercial. First, it shows pictures of CT surgeons with empty clinics, shoeless, flies on their face, all in slow motion with a Sarah McLaughlin song in the background....

Then Dynx chimes in, "for just 38 cents a day, you can help CT surgeons get socks in the OR. When you sponsor a surgeon through our foundation, we'll give you updates on the surgeon's prima donna behavior in the OR, plus sound bites of him chewing out anesthesia...."

It's beautiful.

I now have envisioned Dynx being the spokesman for a CT surgeon infomercial. First, it shows pictures of CT surgeons with empty clinics, shoeless, flies on their face, all in slow motion with a Sarah McLaughlin song in the background....

Then Dynx chimes in, "for just 38 cents a day, you can help CT surgeons get socks in the OR. When you sponsor a surgeon through our foundation, we'll give you updates on the surgeon's prima donna behavior in the OR, plus sound bites of him chewing out anesthesia...."

It's beautiful.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ew, those shoes must stink. I wouldn't want to have to share a locker with those surgeons!

I have an attending who wears shoe covers as socks UNDER his crocs.... at least he admits that crocs are not OR appropriate

I had an attending that wore what appeared to be biker or special military boots in the OR.

I met a fellow from another surgery residency and she said they had a few residents that wore military boots. Something about ankle support and standing long hours.

Cowboy boots are common attire in the southern OR's. I'm told they're good on the feet for standing, but I've never tried them myself.