Oral Board Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p-indecise

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those of you studying now or already beyond it, can you share with us your general strategy for oral boards prep??

What materials do you recommend? How much time did you spend? When did you start studying? Any tips/ advice would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Not there yet, but had a visiting professor who is on the ABR board tell us recently to pick 5 scenarios for each region/site tested and know them cold. For instance, on GU - low risk prostate, high risk prostate (including androgen deprivation), post-op prostate, brachy HDR, and brachy seeds. Common and obvious for prostate. Imagine a patient you've treated in that category and just know it from start to finish. Do the same for each site/section of Hansen and Roach, and you won't fail (supposedly). Unfortunately, with the recall on recalls, no one's likely to offer much more than that.

I've never heard of HDR prostate being tested on the boards.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are any of you doing the Osler course in Louisville? I've heard it's good if you're pretty much ready, will be able to stay calm, and just need some polishing off

Going mostly because I was unable to get into another mock oral boards session.

Take this advice with the usual caveats as I am currently studying for orals.

# 1: Start studying early (like January)
# 2: Get a reliable group of study partners (preferably > 3 and preferably from multiple institutions)
# 3: Get yourself a reliable set of Power Point slides (should be ~ 8 total, one from each subsite) from a major institution (MDACC, MGH, and UCSF ones are all good) and work on updating them to the year you are taking oral boards
#4: Go to the Spring Refresher as many of that year's oral examiners will be presenting; alternatively, if you can't make it to the Spring Refresher then try to get as many old ones as you can (I believe you can pay for these through ASTRO)
#5: Go to at least one mock oral boards (preferably given by people who have oral boards testing experience)
#6: Practice verbalizing your answers and have "templates" for what you are going to say for commonly tested scenarios (e.g. CSI, three field breast, Gyn Brachy, Prostate Brachy); this is not a multiple choice exam where you can flag a question and come back later; it is VERY important to practice saying the correct answers out loud
#7: NCCN guidelines are the ultimate yardstick of what is considered "acceptable" treatment in the United States; I would be extremely hesitant against recommending something that was not in the NCCN
#8: In general it is better to say the way you actually treat patients (e.g. if you routinely do IMRT for anal cancer don't say I do AP/PA); they may ask you follow-up questions which can only be answered by someone who actually practices what they are proposing

With regards to Osler, I've heard polarizing opinions. Either it sucks or it was really good. If you don't have reliable study partners, have no opportunity to take mock oral boards, or started studying really late then Osler may be worth it for you.

#8: In general it is better to say the way you actually treat patients (e.g. if you routinely do IMRT for anal cancer don't say I do AP/PA); they may ask you follow-up questions which can only be answered by someone who actually practices what they are proposing.

Great points. Question regarding #8: I'm planning to use IMRT for anal Ca on the boards (RTOG 0539 technique). Would anybody dare to answer IMRT for vulvar cancer as well? That's what I use in practice, anyway.

For vulvar, it's the same concept as anal - to reduce GI and skin toxicity acutely, limiting breaks, etc. There was only one published report when I took it, from UPMC and they had excellent outcomes. I think I was told not to say it, though, but I can't think of why not. Wonder why no vulvar on NCCN.

Great points. Question regarding #8: I'm planning to use IMRT for anal Ca on the boards (RTOG 0539 technique). Would anybody dare to answer IMRT for vulvar cancer as well? That's what I use in practice, anyway.

It's RTOG 0529 FYI. And if you need some data to back you up, some preliminary stuff was presented at ASCO within the past year

http://www.asco.org/ASCOv2/Meetings/Abstracts?&vmview=abst_detail_view&confID=72&abstractID=1606

The PI of the trial is an oral board examiner so make sure you know that protocol COLD if you decide to that answer that. Obviously a lot of people have made that switch now, but the examiners want to make sure you know the details of IMRT and dose-painting if you use that protocol for treating patients.

So the consensus seems to be NO vulvar IMRT for the boards?

Yep. Consensus of Simul. Many great decisions form from that consensus.

Practically I don't think it will make much difference. Vulvar is a relatively rare cancer (no official NCCN guidelines as pointed out above). Any vulvar case you have will likely be brief as most of the time will be spent discussing uterus, cervix and brachy.

Practically I don't think it will make much difference. Vulvar is a relatively rare cancer (no official NCCN guidelines as pointed out above). Any vulvar case you have will likely be brief as most of the time will be spent discussing uterus, cervix and brachy.

Bingo.

I didn't even get to a vulvar case in my section. It's really going to be bonus points at the end

Wishful thinking guys - my chief had 2 vulvar cases last year on his boards. I think I'll use AP/PA for the answer. I wish I'd learn how to set it up in real practice though :(

Take this advice with the usual caveats as I am currently studying for orals.

# 1: Start studying early (like January)
# 2: Get a reliable group of study partners (preferably > 3 and preferably from multiple institutions)
# 3: Get yourself a reliable set of Power Point slides (should be ~ 8 total, one from each subsite) from a major institution (MDACC, MGH, and UCSF ones are all good) and work on updating them to the year you are taking oral boards
#4: Go to the Spring Refresher as many of that year's oral examiners will be presenting; alternatively, if you can't make it to the Spring Refresher then try to get as many old ones as you can (I believe you can pay for these through ASTRO)
#5: Go to at least one mock oral boards (preferably given by people who have oral boards testing experience)
#6: Practice verbalizing your answers and have "templates" for what you are going to say for commonly tested scenarios (e.g. CSI, three field breast, Gyn Brachy, Prostate Brachy); this is not a multiple choice exam where you can flag a question and come back later; it is VERY important to practice saying the correct answers out loud
#7: NCCN guidelines are the ultimate yardstick of what is considered "acceptable" treatment in the United States; I would be extremely hesitant against recommending something that was not in the NCCN
#8: In general it is better to say the way you actually treat patients (e.g. if you routinely do IMRT for anal cancer don't say I do AP/PA); they may ask you follow-up questions which can only be answered by someone who actually practices what they are proposing

With regards to Osler, I've heard polarizing opinions. Either it sucks or it was really good. If you don't have reliable study partners, have no opportunity to take mock oral boards, or started studying really late then Osler may be worth it for you.

Are there any good books that anyone can recommend re: oral boards prep for rad onc? Also, any tips/books/articles on how to improve oral board exam technique?

Are there any good books that anyone can recommend re: oral boards prep for rad onc?

The roach handbook isn't a bad quick-review manual, especially the studies/techniques at the end of each chapter.

Also, any tips/books/articles on how to improve oral board exam technique?

Do lots of practice sessions/mock orals. Sometimes it's helpful to study in a group where people can meet online (use gotomeeting, it's free for a month) and go through practice orals with each other. Also, if you can find some willing attendings to help you out, that's even better.

Unlike any other test you've taken, it's not just about reading stuff from a book and memorizing it for a written test. You have to be able to articulate your knowledge to pass this test.

The roach handbook isn't a bad quick-review manual, especially the studies/techniques at the end of each chapter.

Do lots of practice sessions/mock orals. Sometimes it's helpful to study in a group where people can meet online (use gotomeeting, it's free for a month) and go through practice orals with each other. Also, if you can find some willing attendings to help you out, that's even better.

Unlike any other test you've taken, it's not just about reading stuff from a book and memorizing it for a written test. You have to be able to articulate your knowledge to pass this test.

Thanks! It doesn't sound like there's much in the way of books/articles that talk about how to improve on oral exam technique though?

If you really want a book, look up something on describing your thoughts succinctly and controlling emotions.