oral board book

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

countingdays

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been waiting on my board results to recommend Anesthesia Oral Board Review: Knocking Out the Boards.
Great book cheap manageable

Disclosures: none

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't want to say anything but I wrote a few chapters in there :) Even though I maybe a little biased, I did find the book quite useful for oral boards. It wasn't my #1 book but I read it a few times and was the main book I used for review my final week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't want to say anything but I wrote a few chapters in there :) Even though I maybe a little biased, I did find the book quite useful for oral boards. It wasn't my #1 book but I read it a few times and was the main book I used for review my final week.

...and that would be...

I am selling the Ho Essential Board Review textbook and workbook... both in great condition. PM for details.

...and that would be...

I used several texts equally. I'd say my top ones were Faust, Board Stiff 3, and a large text similar to Big Red. My residency had it and I found it to be quite useful. I believe it was copyrighted by anesthesiology consultants. I just did an online search for it and came up with Michael Ho. I don't remember seeing his name anywhere on the text but maybe this is where it was from? It had several pages of basic review, pre-op, intra-op, and post-op questions with their answers and a quick summary. It was around 400 pages in a large binder so maybe someone can help me out.

KOTB is much more concise than any other book. I can read through that very quickly. Trying to be unbiased, I'd say it is the most concise, high yield oral board review book out there.

I used several texts equally. I'd say my top ones were Faust, Board Stiff 3, and a large text similar to Big Red. My residency had it and I found it to be quite useful. I believe it was copyrighted by anesthesiology consultants. I just did an online search for it and came up with Michael Ho. I don't remember seeing his name anywhere on the text but maybe this is where it was from? It had several pages of basic review, pre-op, intra-op, and post-op questions with their answers and a quick summary. It was around 400 pages in a large binder so maybe someone can help me out.

KOTB is much more concise than any other book. I can read through that very quickly. Trying to be unbiased, I'd say it is the most concise, high yield oral board review book out there.

Sounds like it was the Ho book you used. I think it uses too many pages for the amount of text and is too repetitive. It's otherwise good though. I read half of it and switched to kotb. Yao is not high-yield enough.

Sounds like it was the Ho book you used. I think it uses too many pages for the amount of text and is too repetitive. It's otherwise good though. I read half of it and switched to kotb. Yao is not high-yield enough.

Agreed. The Ho book was good in terms of reading his answers to all the questions. I also just read through the main points and not all the extra stuff at the beginning of each chapter.

The overall point is, you need to establish a solid foundation of knowledge and then be able to apply that to real world situations. Practicing is numero uno but it's nice to read as many question and answer sections as possible and in the back of your mind, practice those same questions and come up with your own routine. As many have stated in the past, you can easily predict a good portion of the exam. So when they start asking you the question, you can almost start rattling off your answer before they are finished with their sentence. Of course, let them finish, they may not like you interrupting them ;)