Oral board practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

so55b

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My oral board will be on March 3, 2022. Is anyone interested in practice?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m genuinely concerned about my flight getting cancelled or something with all these delays, I asked the ABA about this and they basically said “we are monitoring the Covid situation” …..

Reactions: 3 users
Yea it shows blatant disregard to their own colleagues but they don’t seem to care

Reactions: 3 users
I’m genuinely concerned about my flight getting cancelled or something with all these delays, I asked the ABA about this and they basically said “we are monitoring the Covid situation” …..

Yeah they don't care about their fellow anesthesiologists, just about their testing center. I have exposure to multiple covid patients weekly even with the decrease in elective cases due to hospitals being flooded with covid patients. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a flight, hotel and rental car with the possibility of not being able to attend the exam. There are no more testing days for 2022. I don't see what the big deal is with continuing zoom examinations. Other specialties are being much more reasonable. Sad.

Reactions: 4 users
Yeah they don't care about their fellow anesthesiologists, just about their testing center. I have exposure to multiple covid patients weekly even with the decrease in elective cases due to hospitals being flooded with covid patients. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a flight, hotel and rental car with the possibility of not being able to attend the exam. There are no more testing days for 2022. I don't see what the big deal is with continuing zoom examinations. Other specialties are being much more reasonable. Sad.

that was my complaint when my exam was in 2020 during peak covid. they were like the LAST specialty group to postpone the test, and then decide to go virtual. they always responded with 'we are monitoring the situation closely'. every decision was super last minute. really frustrating. my guess is its a financial reason

Reactions: 2 users
The ABA requiring in person exams during these times is absolutely absurd. With a newborn, I'm trying to mitigate any risk of me transmitting COVID to my baby so I'm debating postponing my exam, or even just not getting board certified at this point.

Anyway, does anyone know if they'll be testing the point of care ultrasounds for the heart, lungs and abdomen in 2022? It states that it will in the outline but there are no example scenarios listed yet.

The ABA requiring in person exams during these times is absolutely absurd. With a newborn, I'm trying to mitigate any risk of me transmitting COVID to my baby so I'm debating postponing my exam, or even just not getting board certified at this point.

Anyway, does anyone know if they'll be testing the point of care ultrasounds for the heart, lungs and abdomen in 2022? It states that it will in the outline but there are no example scenarios listed yet.
My understanding is they will be testing it.

Because gastric ultrasound to assess gastric volume is commonly used and an essential skill to an anesthesiologist 😅

Reactions: 1 user
My understanding is they will be testing it.

Because gastric ultrasound to assess gastric volume is commonly used and an essential skill to an anesthesiologist 😅

I’ve been to a workshop where I “learned” this. I wouldn’t trust my own exam. How many board examiners are good at this? Would they pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
I’ve been to a workshop where I “learned” this. I wouldn’t trust my own exam. How many board examiners are good at this? Would they pass?
It's more BS added to the exam to most likely decrease the pass rate, to make it seem like being "Board Certified" is some high and mighty designation. The optics of a high pass rate make the purpose of the exam look meaningless and futile, hence add a bunch of random stuff no one ever does in real practice. As if completing a residency and being in practice for years isn't enough while CRNAs are practicing independently from some online "doctorate" program.

It's more BS added to the exam to most likely decrease the pass rate, to make it seem like being "Board Certified" is some high and mighty designation. The optics of a high pass rate make the purpose of the exam look meaningless and futile, hence add a bunch of random stuff no one ever does in real practice. As if completing a residency and being in practice for years isn't enough while CRNAs are practicing independently from some online "doctorate" program.

Hey hey hey now these doctors of crnaology are also board certified and peer reviewed okay?

Can we also discuss why I still need to register at the Hilton hotel for the board exam instead of just showing up at the ABA testing center? The exam is no longer at the hotel. Plus there’s a Marriott right next to the testing center and a bunch of restaraunts. Must be some sort of kickback from the Hilton or something.

• Wow
Can we also discuss why I still need to register at the Hilton hotel for the board exam instead of just showing up at the ABA testing center? The exam is no longer at the hotel. Plus there’s a Marriott right next to the testing center and a bunch of restaraunts. Must be some sort of kickback from the Hilton or something.
Yes its a riot, oh well. I'm going to get my certification and move on but these people are definitely out of touch.

They tell you which hotel to stay at when it has nothing to do with the testing center? WTF?

They tell you which hotel to stay at when it has nothing to do with the testing center? WTF?
I can stay wherever I want, but have to show up at the Hilton hotel at 6AM for registration, just to be bussed over to the testing center.

Also, the “ABA discounted rate” at the hotel is more expensive than the rate if you book directly with the hotel by like 10 bucks or something.

But “the validity and integrity” of the exam is being maintained by the ABA, so ….

Haha yes I also noticed it’s cheaper to just book through Expedia.

The hyatt across the street is $90/night with the healthcare discount (code: "thankyou")

I haven't started studying for an early March exam.. how screwed am I?

It depends. If you have practiced before in residency, then maybe it’s not too bad. Just have to be able to verbalize your answers. If you’ve had trouble with pimping, then it won’t be so pleasant.

Also there’s the osce. If you haven’t looked through those, you should at least know what kind of spiel you will be giving.

It depends. If you have practiced before in residency, then maybe it’s not too bad. Just have to be able to verbalize your answers. If you’ve had trouble with pimping, then it won’t be so pleasant.

Also there’s the osce. If you haven’t looked through those, you should at least know what kind of spiel you will be giving.

We did annual oral boards events with some random stems thrown in during cases throughout the year. I'm pretty good at cramming and have a friend who's an examiner. Hopefully I'll be able to get through it.. if not, maybe I'll have someone with COVID cough in my face a week before the exam and reschedule (only half joking of course).