Oral board prep and latest exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyepiece

Reaction score
I take it in October. I am scared.

For the written, a lot of questions, I did not study for. I managed to answer it based on lectures or reading a long time ago. It was almost like I didn't study for a lot of the test.

I fear the orals will be the same thing. I fear that they will not ask straight forward questions, like a picture of an obvious eye disease and you just talk about it. Instead, it will be a picture that I will be clueless or something that I cannot answer in a minute because it is too broad.

Now hospitals and insurance companies are ruthless. No board certification, be worse off than homeless (because of educational debt). Help! I am not kidding.

Anybody take it last week?

Members don't see this ad.

For the written, a lot of questions, I did not study for. I managed to answer it based on lectures or reading a long time ago. It was almost like I didn't study for a lot of the test.

I fear the orals will be the same thing. I fear that they will not ask straight forward questions, like a picture of an obvious eye disease and you just talk about it. Instead, it will be a picture that I will be clueless or something that I cannot answer in a minute because it is too broad.

Now hospitals and insurance companies are ruthless. No board certification, be worse off than homeless (because of educational debt). Help! I am not kidding.

I saw someone talk about this same topic here:

Please recommend study techniques for written boards - OphthoQuestions

You many want to ask the same question over there as well.

As I'm sure you know, it is prohibited to disclose any details concerning oral or written board questions. However, you are correct in that the format of the oral boards is quite unique compared to all other standardized tests that we take throughout our medical education, and most people probably find it a bit more challenging than multiple choice tests. At the very least, I would recommend that you read the Will's manual or a similar review book to familiarize yourself with the presentation and management of common conditions from all subspecialties. The ABO website has an oral board simulation video (just search for "ABO oral board preparation") that is very helpful. There are several books available with sample cases that allow you to practice delivery of a concise presentation in an appropriate time, ideally with a study partner (e.g. Ophthalmology Oral Board Review by D. Luviano MD). Finally, mentors from residency and fellowship are a great resource for pearls and pitfalls when it comes to oral boards. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
As I'm sure you know, it is prohibited to disclose any details concerning oral or written board questions. ...you read the Will's manual or a similar review book to familiarize yourself with the presentation and management of common conditions from all subspecialties. The ABO website has an oral board simulation video (just search for "ABO oral board preparation"... Finally, mentors from residency and fellowship are a great resource for pearls and pitfalls when it comes to oral boards. Good luck!
Some faculty give lectures during residency and say "this is important for the oral boards". Some residencies are probably better at that then others. I didn't go to a residency that they gave more than one or two hints.

I don't expect anyone to say "this is what they asked me, 1., 2., 3, 4. etc." The oral board simulation video shows a pyogenic granuloma and infantile esotropia, straight forward, easy to recognize picture and they just talk about it. Nobody said the oral boards was that easy. That is why I don't believe the simulation video. That is also why I am scared.

Anyone take it last week?

Some faculty give lectures during residency and say "this is important for the oral boards". Some residencies are probably better at that then others. I didn't go to a residency that they gave more than one or two hints.

I don't expect anyone to say "this is what they asked me, 1., 2., 3, 4. etc." The oral board simulation video shows a pyogenic granuloma and infantile esotropia, straight forward, easy to recognize picture and they just talk about it. Nobody said the oral boards was that easy. That is why I don't believe the simulation video. That is also why I am scared.

Anyone take it last week?

I took it a few years ago (with paper scrollbook).

As recommended by many others in the past, take the Osler course for orals and do many mock orals. The Osler presentation framework is very good. Aim for 2 to 2.5 minutes per case. And the week leading up to the actual exam at Osler is best utilized to refine and polish your oral presentations.

The Pemberton case book, Friedman Case book and Luviano Oral Case books are excellent representatives to practice with a study partner in the few months leading up to the actual week before the test.

Always rule out what can blind or kill a patient and you should be fine.

My examiners wanted me to read the clinical prompt aloud- this is annoying since it can slow you down, but I used that time to gather and organize my thoughts. Think before you speak- better to say something less specific and be sure vs unsure and stating something obviously incorrect. Take a breathe and fire away with your knowledge. Speak clearly and repeat certain keywords since the examiner may not have heard you the first time since they are bubbling in the keywords that they are looking for. If you are able to put together a coherent presentation and cover as much as you can anticipate (describe what you see, 3-5 ddx on every case, diagnostic testing ruling in/out, treatment plan, patient education, and keep other health care team informed- primary care MD, requesting consultant) what the keywords the examiner is listening for, there shouldn't be much time for awkward silences and less chance for them to interrupt you and start pimping.

https://abop.org/media/94196/oral-exam-content-outline.pdf

American Board of Ophthalmology Facts & Statistics | American Board of Ophthalmology

Good luck- the latest ABO statistics show that the 1st time takers and overall pass rate has increased. You know more than you realize.

Reactions: 1 user
If one station doesn’t go as well as you think, don’t panic. Collect yourself, take a deep breath and move on. You could be killing it or dismally failing and you may get the same blank look. I sat beside a fellow examinee crying after the last station. The person passed. Keep calm.

The pemberton book and wills manual will get you 80% there. They did show me a rare pediatric condition that most people have only read about, so you do have to be prepared for almost anything. Use last minute optics for the certain optics station.

Most people do pass, but the typical pass rate at about 75% is lower than what I’ve heard in many other specialties.

Last edited:

I will be brutally honest and tell you that it is a miserable experience, but one we all have to go through. It took me three attempts to pass this ridiculous thing. The first time I wasnt well prepared and didnt know what to expect, despite following all of the usual recommendations for resources as mentioned above, etc, and knew right away I'd be taking it again. The second time i took the Osler course, felt liked I killed it, walked out confident, and still failed somehow. My mind was blown. I told myself I would give it one more try because I couldnt keep torturing myself and trying to dedicate study time every spring and fall while trying to run a busy practice. I honestly was so unmotivated, I barely did any preparation until about 2 weeks before the test, and during the test there were several questions where I simply just went silent, as the blank stares were mirrored back at me. I left wondering, as you are, what the long term repercussions would be of not being board certified. 5 weeks later I had a Congratulatory letter in my hands. It is absolutely the most ridiculous and random (and costly) thing you will ever experience, but if my horror story still led to a pass eventually then I'm sure anyone else can mange it. My first attempt was the "bloodbath of spring 2016" as Ive seen it referred to elsewhere in these threads where 29% of test takers failed, which included 28% failure for first time test takers, an unheard of statistic. The pass rate has increased each session since then, so maybe they have relaxed the standards somewhat realizing how unrealistic they were being. So if you got anything going for you, the pass rate is at least trending in your favor. And if you do have to take it a second, or even third, time realize many very competent doctors have had to do the same thing.

For the original poster and for those who are taking it in October:

Hopefully I can provide a unique perspective. In residency I had always done well on the OKAPS and I did pretty well on the written boards. I didn't necessarily consider myself smart but I figured I knew my stuff. I took the orals last year during the summer, and for the first time in a long time, failed a career-based examination. The whole event was shocking and traumatic; I found out while on vacation after finishing fellowship, and it was not necessarily the most relaxing vacation afterwards. That said, part me feels that it may not necessarily has been a bad thing. The process I had to undergo in order to pass has made me a better attending in the end.

If you feel uneasy and scared, honestly you should be. The oral board, like other posters have stated, is unlike any other test you have taken. The ABOP website summarizes it nicely so I won't go into detail, but the resources to prepare for this, like OphthoQuestions and the well known review books out there, are scant in comparison. I took a while to process how I failed it, and I realized that the key to passing the oral board are in these three components:

1) Knowledge - if you pass the written boards, you obviously have the knowledge. However, up to a year can pass by after the writtens, so you need to refresh your knowledge, and focus it on clinical information - you don't have to worry about what gene loci certain disease fall on or what viruses are implicated in Fuch's, but you better know the classic signs of things that will kill or blind a patient, like melanomas or a phakomatosis.
2) Pattern recognition - primarily, know what you're looking at and what the testers are trying to get at. It's the same game we played as residents when attendings asked us questions - part of the solution is figuring out what is truly being asked for on the test. The pictures aren't the best, but they should be good enough for you to figure out what to do. Sometimes you may not know what you're looking at until you figure out what the examiner is trying to ask.
3) Preparation - this is the big one. You not only have to know your information, but you have to present it concisely. Doing 10 cases in 25 minutes is very tough without practicing and drilling yourself. The time limit is really what makes this test difficult - I believe that if all applicants had an extra 15 minutes per section, they would probably pass the test easily.

For the first attempt, I read Pemberton and Friedman’s Case Reviews, then attended the Osler course. Obviously it was not enough; the Osler course is meant more for practicing and already having all your knowledge prepped prior to the course. When I walked out, I cursed myself silently because I did not finish strong and realized I had missed some crucial cases that I only realized he answer after walking out of one of the rooms.

The second time around, I regather my thoughts and had an honest analysis of what went wrong. I realized that not only did I not prepare adequately, but I also did not read up and refresh my clinical knowledge. So what did I do?

First, I blocked off time 3-4 months prior to the boards this year, and flipped through Kanski and some of the case vignettes that you can buy with it. This was more so I could look at lots of pictures - an Atlas of any sort would be fine. Then, I read through the Wills Eye Manual. In my opinion, this is what really helped me prepare the most. Yes, it is dry and boring, but everything non-optics related you need to pass is in that book.

For further preparation, I decided to try UC Denver’s mock oral prep day rather than do the Osler course again. If I could do it again, I would have done this instead of Osler. The course is held 3-4 weeks prior to the boards. It is basically a mock run through of the real thing, and you get feedback on your performance. It’s early enough so that if you feel like you bombed it, you have time to rectify your preparation.

For the last three weeks, I spent the majorty of my preparation practicing with a study partner via FaceTime using cases from Pemberton, Friedman Case Reviews, and some extra cases we cobbled up together. This kept us honest and forced us to keep our presentations concise.

The second time through, I felt much better prepared and walked out feeling like I passed. I didn’t take the Osler course but I took off early that Wednesday and made sure I had ample time to get to San Francisco in case I had any delays.

The main advice I can give is to take this test seriously like the writtens and prepare properly. Don’t rely on reading just the main review books (Pemberton, Luciano, Friedman, etc.) because there are some high yield cases not accounted for in those books that you have to know solid due to their systemic implications. Seriously, Wills Eye Manual has all the info you need (was strongly recommended by someone in my shoes before me) and I’m glad I read it.

Whew lad that was a lot. Feel free to ask me any questions.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks to the posters above for sharing your experiences- how long did you both wait to take it a second time ? I am in a dilemma whether to try again in October or wait till next June. Pros of October are material is still fresh and maybe just try to resolidify things and give it a go or just wait and give it time. It’s hard to know what went wrong as there is no feedback.

Thanks to the posters above for sharing your experiences- how long did you both wait to take it a second time ? I am in a dilemma whether to try again in October or wait till next June. Pros of October are material is still fresh and maybe just try to resolidify things and give it a go or just wait and give it time. It’s hard to know what went wrong as there is no feedback.

I waited a year, but only because I had personal life stuff that took precedence over the boards the week it was held. If you have the time to study and prepare, I would take it sooner. If some of the material is still fresh you can wait until August to start studying. Make an honest assessment of yourself of what you think you needed to work on, and go from there.

Honestly, they had me assigned to the Fall 2016 exam (after failing spring 2016) and it was the weekend of LSU/Alabama football which I had planned out months before, people visiting, etc. I also felt like the trauma of failure was too fresh in my mind, and couldnt muster the energy to start studying again immediately, so I moved that test to Spring 2017 (my 2nd failure). Then ultimately took it the 3rd time Fall 2017 when I passed. After the 2nd fail I called them to try to find out anything I could with regards to why I failed, anything specific I could do better, etc, and they completely stonewalled me. Whoever I talked to, it was basically an attitude of "Dude, Im sorry youre a ******* but its not my problem." She literally stated "It is not our responsibility to inform the test taker of what they need to study or why you did not pass previously." It was enraging. But such is life, and I moved on with that bit of "instruction." This week I was in contact with two friends who failed their first exam in Fall 2017 (when I finally passed) and they ended up passing this go around (Spring 2018), and their sentiments echo mine - no clue what they did differently, but ended up passing.