Oral board prep

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocEspana

Bullish
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now that the spring people all got their results, time for a question from a fall guy.

How do you guys prepare for the oral boards? I asked four older graduates from my old residency and got four totally different answers with them accusing the other three of "doing it all wrong".

Just tell me what id need to do to learn how to take and pass this test.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to learn how to play the game, because it is exactly that - nothing like real life.
Personally, I did AAEM's in-person weekend thing, which helped a lot, IMHO.

Reactions: 1 user
Now that the spring people all got their results, time for a question from a fall guy.

How do you guys prepare for the oral boards? I asked four older graduates from my old residency and got four totally different answers with them accusing the other three of "doing it all wrong".

As someone who is only moonlighting in EM at this point and full time Intensivist I was worried since I hadn’t had any EM conferences residency conferences since 2015.

1) ICEP Oral Board Review Course - worth every penny. Prep course is 1 month before the test and in the same Hotel as the actual exam. Did the 10 hour session option.

Oral Board Review Courses - Illinois College of Emergency Physicians

2) Okuda book 2nd edition, casual reading

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the AAEM course after s lot of back and forth due to cost and I was a fellow. Best decision I made by far. 2 day course it was essentially the exact same thing as the real test. I studied minimally after that just flipping through okuda but in more of a “I should be more worried and study this test is coming up” way. AAEM course teaches u how to play the game, the rest is what u do everyday and should be second nature by now.

You have to learn how to play the game, because it is exactly that - nothing like real life.
Personally, I did AAEM's in-person weekend thing, which helped a lot, IMHO.

I second this. Took the AAEM course in Dallas, and found it to be very helpful, if not a little overkill, which is what you want. I'm an IC so I can write off all the expenses.

My plan is the Okuda book and the AAEM course. I would rather feel comfortable going in. I don't want to have to take this twice.

Statistically you will be fine regardless of what you do, so don't stress too much. The pass rate in recent years has been in the higher 90s. I did 4 long days of focused review of the Okuda book, got 95% of the way through it, then flew to Chicago, took the test and passed it.

Real talk. It was an unpleasant experience. You will find that during the real thing the examiners will not prompt or cue you as you have been told they will. They'll just sit there staring at you. A couple of my more elderly examiners seemed actively adversarial in how they approached their cases. The cases themselves are broad brushstrokes bread-and-butter EM and not terribly tricky, and the Okuda book is a pretty good subject matter review of the topics stressed. It's the format which is challenging, and in particular the eOral thing which is not terribly intuitive and tends to throw you by repeatedly popping up critical results without any warning (make sure to get as much practice in the practice room as you can before the test).

If I had to do things over again I'd do more partner-based practice. I don't think the course helps you quite as much as running through cases with a partner does.

I did have a classmate fail (after taking the AAEM course and reviewing Okuda) and from what he says there isn't a particularly clear path to retake -- and to make matters worse they only give you 2 years to try to wrangle a seat off a waitlist to do so. So try not to be that guy, as it's an unenviable position to be in.

My plan is the Okuda book and the AAEM course. I would rather feel comfortable going in. I don't want to have to take this twice.

This is exactly what I did.

Gotta be honest. I passed but did not do as well as I had hoped, even though I did well on the written boards. I’m so glad I took the course despite the price.

Reactions: 1 user
I did have a classmate fail (after taking the AAEM course and reviewing Okuda) and from what he says there isn't a particularly clear path to retake -- and to make matters worse they only give you 2 years to try to wrangle a seat off a waitlist to do so. So try not to be that guy, as it's an unenviable position to be in.

If u fail u have to pass within 2 years? And they don't re-assign u?

I did solo okuda x2, actual cases were bread and butter. If you did oral boards in residency, get in that mindset and you'll be fine.

Can't say I passed by a large margin, but I passed. I did what I would consider bare minimum and only because I had several unforseen family problems and child sick that prevented me. I considered rescheduling but couldn't be guaranteed a date for 2 years. So I did what I could you n 2 weeks and hoped for the best.

I read the Okuda book, maybe 80% of it. Probably less as time was limited. I had a friend who did the AAEM course and let me borrow the book. I read maybe 50% of it. Then I did 6 practice cases on Skype w a friend.

I was as ready as possible w cases the old school way (i.e. everything paper). The electronic way of all my cases minus the triples did throw me off a bit.

If u fail u have to pass within 2 years? And they don't re-assign u?

That's what he told us ABEM told him. They told him he would be placed on a waitlist and couldn't be guaranteed a seat within the allotted 2 years and that he would have to be ready to fly to Chicago on very little notice if a seat opened up.

Agree... Okuda was excellent for solo practice, and helpful for a live practice. That's said... I'd recommend a prep course. I studied 100% solo for a few days, and passed comfortably, but I think a prep course would have been really helpful.
Repetition and scripting are key
Good luck!