Oral Board Studying Resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acidbase1

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’m reading the UBP books, are there any good apps out there to use while in the OR/during downtime?

Members don't see this ad.

Have the Kindle app on my iPhone and Kindle Fire to pull up Yao and Artusio Anesthesiology text, which I highly recommend. Also working my way through UBP before test in March.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
What’s everyone doing for this applied section? Just going over the information listed on the ABA site?

What’s everyone doing for this applied section? Just going over the information listed on the ABA site?

Pretty much, be sure to watch the (often unintentionally hilarious) videos as well. Id expect some hiccups for the first few administrations, probably gives the examinee a bit of wiggle room.

Reactions: 1 user
^^^ kinda what I was thinking. They passed virtually everyone who took the Basic for a couple years

I would recommend doing justoralboards. Do as many exams as you can. No book helps here, just practice with the right people

I second JustOralBoards (JOB). I and most of my colleagues had a a solid experience with the program. Reading books is important for content, but not for actual case performance. That just came with practice, and actually understanding what examiners were looking for, which I learned from the JOB program.

I have UBP, just bought justoralboard package for mock. Do I need the study material from justoralboards?

I have UBP, just bought justoralboard package for mock. Do I need the study material from justoralboards?
Yeah! You do. Trust me. Their book is pretty damn good. I went through it a few times. Has some practice exams and info on how to 'dissect the stem' and actually anticipate the right questions based on whats in the stem. I used that technique a lot. Like for sickle cell, i dissected like the justoralbook taught me and was able to guess before i entered the room the most likely questions. Almost everyone i thought they'd ask they ended up asking. Highly recommend working with Ruchir Gupta as your examiner with them. tough dude, but really helps a lot.

To give another data point along the lines of the post above, I had the chance to work with a lot of the instructors, and I found that to be the best way to diversify my preparation. Primarily because at the of the day the manual is a book, and reality may vary. So I wanted to be sure to try using the techniques in the manual and see how each interviewer reacted to them so that I could have more experience with different styles and line of questioning.

Started studying oral board about 6 weeks prior (didn't start until after my fellowship ITE). Cram through UBP once except I didn't get to go through all of practice set 6. Took mine end of April -- Passed. I recommend UBP. I purchased the online course but I felt that was quite wasteful. All you need is the books.

CA3 here.Everyone at my program swears by the old Michael Ho book. Briefly read a few pages and it's ok. Have the UBP books but really haven' read too much yet. Any read the just oral boards book?

CA3 here.Everyone at my program swears by the old Michael Ho book. Briefly read a few pages and it's ok. Have the UBP books but really haven' read too much yet. Any read the just oral boards book?

You really don't need anything else besides the <deleted by mod> book. I read it twice, and was set..

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.