Orascoptic Freedom loupes.. any experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kayakfisher

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some reps giving a little talk about loupes tomorrow, and I was curious if anyone had any experience with these? I know they are a new model, but was curious if anyone has heard about them, or if they are just kinda gimmicky and not that great for real world applications.
I am a first year, so really dont have any experience with loupes at all.

"Orascoptic has developed the industry's first light system that does not employ belt-packs, long electrical cables, or buttons. "

They have battery packs attached to the frames which are supposedly "counterbalancing" but I dont know if they would just feel too bulky or not.

Members don't see this ad.

There are some reps giving a little talk about loupes tomorrow, and I was curious if anyone had any experience with these? I know they are a new model, but was curious if anyone has heard about them, or if they are just kinda gimmicky and not that great for real world applications.
I am a first year, so really dont have any experience with loupes at all.

"Orascoptic has developed the industry's first light system that does not employ belt-packs, long electrical cables, or buttons. "

They have battery packs attached to the frames which are supposedly "counterbalancing" but I dont know if they would just feel too bulky or not.

Just because loupes are counter-balanced doesn't mean that that weight will just go away. And the battery life they're advertising is pretty wimpy... won't get through through a full day of clinic... vs. something like the Ultralight, which you can't even feel. Obviously you have a cable, but the battery is not on your head.

Stick with conventional loupes + headlight with corded battery pack.

FYI, I use Orascoptic 3.8x Expanded TTL with Ultralight.

I tried them on, and they definitely seem to heavy. And the batteries will only last for 3 hours without swapping them out, very annoying.

Is there another company that I should try and look out before buying from orascoptic?

Members don't see this ad :)
I tried them on, and they definitely seem to heavy. And the batteries will only last for 3 hours without swapping them out, very annoying.

Is there another company that I should try and look out before buying from orascoptic?

DFV for sure! Im expecting my DFV 3.5x EF anytime day now im ecstatic! Also, i set up a group buy for our class with Lumadent. The reviews on this light are awesome. It is a great light at an amazing price! Don is great to work with. www.lumadent.com

I didn't care for them when I saw them but they are different and kinda futuristic looking so if that is your thing it might be ok

That Lumadent light is interesting, any thoughts on that vs the Feather Light LED from Ultra Light? They both seem to be WAY lighter than most of the lights out there.
And for loupes, I actually contacted Q-optics to see if they have a rep coming to our school. I want to get something more than 2.5, but I think the 3.5 would be a little much for me.

Q-optics, Eclipse Ti Frame, 3.0x w/ feather light or lumadent.... is what I might be leaning towards right now, obviously need to try them on an base a lot of it on comfort. Anyone have any opinions on this set up?

That Lumadent light is interesting, any thoughts on that vs the Feather Light LED from Ultra Light? They both seem to be WAY lighter than most of the lights out there.
And for loupes, I actually contacted Q-optics to see if they have a rep coming to our school. I want to get something more than 2.5, but I think the 3.5 would be a little much for me.

Q-optics, Eclipse Ti Frame, 3.0x w/ feather light or lumadent.... is what I might be leaning towards right now, obviously need to try them on an base a lot of it on comfort. Anyone have any opinions on this set up?

That set up would probably be just fine Im sure. There are a few threads over on DT that did a comparison of Ultralight and Lumadent. They are very equal. But would you rather spend 500 or 333? No brainer in my opinion. Those are both the student group buy prices.. You need at least 20 people to get the ultralight student price and a 1/4 that to get the lumadent. I tried contacting Ultralight a few times and they only got back to me once or twice. Don was responsive and very helpful. Either way do the research and make a decision. The threads over at DT have some pictures so you can do a good comparison. Good luck!

And today I received my loupes.. and they are AWESOME i can't wait to use them next semester! Thumbs up to DFV!

Try this link... http://www.towniecentral.com/MessageBoard/thread.aspx?a=11&s=2&f=187&t=151397&g=1&st