Order of courses an issue of concern?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marbou3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does medical school look at the order in which you took your courses? or even care for that matter? For example, i am taking a freshmen lab next semester (junior year).

Thanks in advance​

Members don't see this ad.

ummm, I dont think so

I guess if you went and took Calc 2 and 3, and then went back and took algebra then maybe they will look at it like padding your GPA.

OP - Are you specifically referring to the pre-reqs or any course?

Members don't see this ad :)
I am specifically talking about pre-reqs. I haven't taken my first chemistry lab. Its not a pre-req for anything...not even organic which I am about to finish in a few weeks. I was just wondering if they will pick up my application and ask themselves "why did this person take chem 1212 their junior year of college?"

Your transcript report does get broken down by year.
College classes taken while in high school
Freshman
Sophomore
Junior
Senior
Post Bacc

They do SEE the breakdown, but no one is going to care about the order in which you took your chem lab, only that you have taken the required course.

Does medical school look at the order in which you took your courses? or even care for that matter? For example, i am taking a freshmen lab next semester (junior year).​

Thanks in advance​

They won't care that you took chem 1 lab in your junior year

I am specifically talking about pre-reqs. I haven't taken my first chemistry lab. Its not a pre-req for anything...not even organic which I am about to finish in a few weeks. I was just wondering if they will pick up my application and ask themselves "why did this person take chem 1212 their junior year of college?"

No it doesn't matter, you'll be fine.

I don't think it'll be a big deal. I'm taking a Freshman seminar while in Biochemistry, Genetics, Precalc 2, and Physics, + labs next semester

Yeah, it is not a big deal at all. At some schools, students take Organic Chemistry in their first year.

They won't care, and probably won't notice. With most schools interviewing 3+ students per position, class sizes often 100+, and interviewers who are busy with other aspects of their career, grades are generally skimmed for basic grade trends and any interesting courses to talk about. That is IF the interviewer even looks at your transcript.