Order of difficulty of MCAT verbal passages!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ehsan69

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering one thing about the MCAT verbal. Does anybody know if there is a general trend in this section for the difficulty of the passages? Let's say the first one is easy, the last two are easy and the ones in between are intermediate and hard?

Members don't see this ad.

There is no intentional trend in the order of difficulty of the passages.

There are three types of passages on the MCAT.
https://www.aamc.org/students/download/285240/data/vrcontentcat.pdf

More often than not, people tend to have weaknesses in analyzing certain types of passages which lead them to perceive those as more difficult (e.g. passages related to philosophy). I recommend looking over the content outline, identifying your weaknesses and practicing with those specific passages.

NextStep is correct, although the passages may feel like they're getting more difficult due to mental fatigue perhaps. I found it helpful to pause after finishing one passage, close my eyes and take a deep breath, maybe readjust my posture. It helped me clear out whatever drivel I had just internalized for the past five or six minutes and prepare myself for a completely different set of ideas.