Order of Education

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

w0344990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few decisions I need to make, and I'm looking at a lot of different career decisions and degree programs. I know for sure I want a career in sports medicine doing clinical work along with research. There are a few things regarding a physical therapy career about which I am unsure.

1) If I'm looking at getting both a DPT and a PhD, assuming I'm not taking a combined program, which should I pursue first? I would guess a DPT so I could actually work while attaining the PhD.

2) I live in Louisiana, which only has two DTP programs--one in New Orleans and one in Shreveport, both are LSU schools. Assuming I do want a combined DPT/PhD (or MPT/PhD), what schools are closest to Louisiana? The only one I know of right off is Kansas University. Google seems to be too picky about how to type in degree abbreviations: PhD, Ph.D., Ph.D, DPT, D.P.T., etc., so I'm having a little trouble with that.

3) This may not be appropriate for this section, but how would becoming certified as an athletic trainer fit into the other two degree programs mentioned above? I know of a few people that have all three (John Doe, PT, Ph.D, ATC) but wasn't sure of the benefit of having added AT certification.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Not sure about the ATC, but I'm on exactly the same path as you.

The schools that offer a combined program are: WashU (only one spot), Delaware, Kansas, and OSU. I have been told by everyone to do the DPT first. The programs like to see commitment to PT, so it should be the priority. Also, as you said, you can start working while in the PhD program.

What kind of PhD, by the way? Northwestern has one too, but the PhD is in engineering.

As a certified Athletic trainer your scope of practice includes working at sporting events and responding to immediate injuries. In many cases you will be the first person to see an injured athlete and provide immediate care such as taping, bandaging, first aid...You will also take care of the athletes pre-game regimes such as taping ankles and applying treatment modalities in the training room. This would benefit you along with being a physical therapist if you plan on focusing on "sports medicine" as you could apply many of these procedues in a physical therapy practice to athletes. You will be more marketable to a sports medicine practice. Also covering sporting events as a PT/ATC will allow you to build relationships with the covering team physicians and athletes as well to gain referrals and if a direct access state (i am not 100% on all of the legal issues here) you could market your practice to the athletes you are treating. There are a lot of gray areas in this though from what I have heard and seen.

Members don't see this ad :)
What kind of PhD, by the way? Northwestern has one too, but the PhD is in engineering.
This is mainly the reason why I asked about getting it separately. I saw KU's PhD has to be in rehab science. While it may overlap with rehab science some, I'd like to enter a PhD program in either kinesiology or physiology.

This would benefit you along with being a physical therapist if you plan on focusing on "sports medicine" as you could apply many of these procedues in a physical therapy practice to athletes. You will be more marketable to a sports medicine practice.
I suppose upon getting the DPT I'd have the knowledge to pass the ATC certification exam? Or since I'm a sophomore, would it be wise to switch to an undergrad AT program and get certified before grad school?

In the OP, I mentioned deciding on a few career paths. I started out pre-med, but after doing research on a lot of other careers in the medical field, I'm starting to become more interested in other things. I think I've started to narrow down my interests to either DPT/PhD/ATC or doing podiatry. For the time being, I'm just trying to find out as much as I can about these two career options, and this forum has been a great help. Thanks for your advice and knowledge.

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting one separately, in neuroscience or kinesiology (as I plan to do adult neurorehab, and my undergrad major is going to be neuroscience.) The majority of the combined programs are rehab sci. or movement sciences. There really is a lot of flexibility within that field. I, for instance, would definitely focus on motor control. I'm biased towards the DPT/PhD track, of course, since it's my plan. Why between that and podiatry? Podiatry seems like a very different direction. Complete curiosity, by the way, not trying to say one is better or worse.

I wouldn't change programs in order to receive a BA in Athletic training if you are not sure that is what you want to do. The best advice I can give to you is to really dedicate yourself to all of the science pre req's that most health professional schools require (Bio, Chem, Physics, A&P, O-Chem) and worry more about the application process and what program you are exactly interested in more toward your fall and spring semester next year. One thing I regret is spending so much time worrying about the application process in my undergrad years which can make it difficult to just focus on the actual science classes since they require a LOT of attention. In the mean time volunteer, do research, and talk to the ATC at your school. Remember everyone will give you a different opinion but in the end its your opinion that matters.

Why between that and podiatry? Podiatry seems like a very different direction. Complete curiosity, by the way, not trying to say one is better or worse.
No matter what I'm doing, I wanted sports medicine to be a part of it. There are a lot of sports medicine fellowships in the field. It's really just something that interests me. You never really hear a lot about podiatry on an everyday basis, unless you're looking for it. Also, there's no podiatry schools near Louisiana, and I would assume fewer podiatrists compared to the average in each state. There's also the extra pay and the fact that it's a medical degree. Like I said, I still have a lot more to learn about each field, and I'm definitely going to learn all I can so I don't make a choice I may regret in the future.

I wouldn't change programs in order to receive a BA in Athletic training if you are not sure that is what you want to do. The best advice I can give to you is to really dedicate yourself to all of the science pre req's that most health professional schools require (Bio, Chem, Physics, A&P, O-Chem) and worry more about the application process and what program you are exactly interested in more toward your fall and spring semester next year. One thing I regret is spending so much time worrying about the application process in my undergrad years which can make it difficult to just focus on the actual science classes since they require a LOT of attention. In the mean time volunteer, do research, and talk to the ATC at your school. Remember everyone will give you a different opinion but in the end its your opinion that matters.
Thanks for the good advice. I definitely won't change degree programs unless I know for sure that's what I'll be doing; however, the AT program at my school allows for me to take the prereq science courses, so that may be a good decision either way.

Cool, fair enough.

Just a general note: most PT programs I've seen (and all the ones I applied to) do NOT require Orgo. Granted, they require Anatomy and such that perhaps other health schools do not, but Orgo is not a prereq.