Order of study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tenacious

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am really struggling with what science subjects to study first. I have a good foundation in bio, gchem and orgo, gchem is probably the weakest if I had to pick. My question is how have others studied for these subject areas? All at the same time or are you breaking them down? :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

I found this schedule in the MCAT forums and am using it as a rough guide to what I should study on what days. If you want to use EK books then here's what you do: cut and paste this schedule into word, replace the word "physics" w/ "quantative reasoning", add in some time for the PAT, and VOILA! you've made a study schedule! This may not work for you but I personally find it very doable. :D

http://home.comcast.net/~greet/Examkrackers_Home_Study_Schedule.htm

I'd suggest **far** more studying than found in this schedule above, especially if you're aiming for 20+. 2-4 hours a day is great for 1-3 months before, but I'd suggest spending as much time possible cramming your brain full during the last 2-4 weeks. If it's at all doable, clear your schedule of even work and do nothing but study for the last 2-4 weeks. Sounds nuts, but it worked well for me. But then again, I'm crazy. ;)

As far as study order, I think the key is to just START. Once you get into the material, you'll know what you need to focus on. I'd suggest equal treatment of each subject if you can. The most important one to practice on daily is the PAT, and for this you ought to try doing more than just practice examples, but do crazy visualizations in your head. It's a little unorthodox, but it worked for me. I posted a couple of ideas on this here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=1411838#post1411838

The bottom line is, no one knows your strengths and weaknesses better than you do. Highlight what you don't know out of the Kaplan book, and study it like crazy. Take practice tests and focus not only on what you get wrong, but why the right answers are right.

One thing the schedule above definitely has right is days off. I was planning on studying for like 8-10 hours the day before the test, but finally came to a point at about 2 or 3 pm where I said, "Screw it!" and played video games and watched South Park the rest of the day. Worked wonders. :)

Typo said:
I'd suggest **far** more studying than found in this schedule above, especially if you're aiming for 20+. 2-4 hours a day is great for 1-3 months before, but I'd suggest spending as much time possible cramming your brain full during the last 2-4 weeks. If it's at all doable, clear your schedule of even work and do nothing but study for the last 2-4 weeks. Sounds nuts, but it worked well for me. But then again, I'm crazy. ;)

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that. I added more hours to my studying than is written there on that schedule. The mcat is kind of a different beast than the dat, for the dat sciences I believe it is possible to memorize your way to better scores, whereas the mcat is more about application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Tenacious said:
Hey guys. I am really struggling with what science subjects to study first. I have a good foundation in bio, gchem and orgo, gchem is probably the weakest if I had to pick. My question is how have others studied for these subject areas? All at the same time or are you breaking them down? :confused:

IMHO taking a diagnostic practice test will tell you where your weaknesses are right down to specific topics and concept. I believe that personalized determination and understanding of where you need to apply the most effort will make for a very efficient and effective study schedule.

It makes a lot of sense that the person who designed that particular schedule starts out with a diagnostic test. Spending a few hours analyzing your needs based on that diagnostic test pays off big time IMHO.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I am pretty self driven, but I just a little on the apprehensive side. I am one of those people that remembers things very well. I have avoided taking a diagnostic test (I only have topscore, and kaplan blue book practice exams) because when it is time to take them for practice I don't want to skew the results. I know that I can only take them once and count on it being an accurate representation. If anyone has any thoughts on how I might be able to take a diagnostic test without "wasting" the ones I'm saving for later would be much appreciated.