Orders for USUHS / M1 class of 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyHuey

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone get their orders to go to OBC this summer? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything at all from anyone regarding this. What I did hear was that we'd be getting them, at the earliest, in April. :luck:

Also, is there a welcome "Second Look" for people that have been accepted to USUHS???

There have to be more people than just me who have been accepted to USUHS and are in my same boat???? :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

BabyHuey said:
Anyone get their orders to go to OBC this summer? Just wondering because I haven't heard anything at all from anyone regarding this. What I did hear was that we'd be getting them, at the earliest, in April. :luck:

Also, is there a welcome "Second Look" for people that have been accepted to USUHS???

There have to be more people than just me who have been accepted to USUHS and are in my same boat???? :luck:

Hey, I was accepted to USUHS in Dec. and I think I received something via email about the OBC. I haven't had time to sort through it yet because I'm waiting for one more school before I make my decision.

I recieved an orientation packet with some links to OIS (OBC) websites, but no formal orders or start dates. However, I am only conditionaly accepted at this point, so this may affect correspondence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a packet and was assigned a student sponsor. Came in the mail a couple of months ago. No mention of a second look.

Not sure if I am going there, but love the school and am excited about it.

Is anyone else having trouble deciding whether or not USUHS is the school for them? I have been accepted but I tend to change my mind between two schools on a weekly basis. I want to go back to usuhs and attend classes with a student for a day to get a better feel but am not sure if that is allowed. Is that what a "second look' is? Anyways just wanted to say hello to potential classmates and maybe get your imput. :)

CaliGrl80 said:
Is anyone else having trouble deciding whether or not USUHS is the school for them? I have been accepted but I tend to change my mind between two schools on a weekly basis. I want to go back to usuhs and attend classes with a student for a day to get a better feel but am not sure if that is allowed. Is that what a "second look' is? Anyways just wanted to say hello to potential classmates and maybe get your imput. :)

Yo congrats on the couple acceptances. I'm in your same boat about decisions. I also change my mind frequently. A second look would be great but I don't know if USUHS has one.

BabyHuey said:
A second look would be great but I don't know if USUHS has one.

I don't belive that a second look at USUHS is neccesary for the type of decision required to committ to this school. If you choose USUHS, you are not choosing a school, you are choosing a career and a way of life. The facilities themselves are unimportant and should not play a major factor in the decision. One piece of advice that is constatnly handed to me is: "if you are unsure, don't go to USUHS, go HPSP and maintain your choices."

Having said that (sorry if it sounds preachy)...
I was told by one of the teachers at USUHS, CAPT Macri I think, that she would be happy to set up a site visit if I wanted to look again at USUHS. All of the faculty seemed to be of this mind set and very helpful, so I am sure that you could contact someone and get them to show you around again. But I do not believe that there is an official second look day.

AubreyMaturin said:
I recieved an orientation packet with some links to OIS (OBC) websites, but no formal orders or start dates. However, I am only conditionaly accepted at this point, so this may affect correspondence.

same deal here. June 12th is coming up pretty quick, and I'd like something more formal in hand!

Anyone know what happens between OBC/OIS and the start of orientation? Are we burning leave? Or are we on extended liberty?

deegs said:
same deal here. June 12th is coming up pretty quick, and I'd like something more formal in hand!

Anyone know what happens between OBC/OIS and the start of orientation? Are we burning leave? Or are we on extended liberty?

According to my orientation schedule, OBC ends July 25/OIS ends July29, and military inprocessing week starts August 8. So I assume that this week-week and 1/2 is used for moving to DC/MD and getting settled in, so I would imagine that it is technically not leave. Especially since we would not have accrued any yet. My understanding is that Leave is dealt with a bit differently in USUHS because there are only certain time periods that it can be used anyway, so we all take our leave at the same time.

After inprocessing week is orientation week, then class begins.

AubreyMaturin said:
According to my orientation schedule, OBC ends July 25/OIS ends July29, and military inprocessing week starts August 8. So I assume that this week-week and 1/2 is used for moving to DC/MD and getting settled in, so I would imagine that it is technically not leave. Especially since we would not have accrued any yet. My understanding is that Leave is dealt with a bit differently in USUHS because there are only certain time periods that it can be used anyway, so we all take our leave at the same time.

After inprocessing week is orientation week, then class begins.

Never fear! The military is perfectly willing to extend leave on credit. They know where you live.... I know leave works differently at USUHS, but I assume that when we emerge in four years, our leave balance will catch up to us.... but I guess as long as I'm getting paid during the gap, they can call it whatever they like...