Oregon State vs. Pacific vs. MCPHS - Worcester

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtran19

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been accepted into Oregon State University, Pacific University (Oregon), and MCPHS - Worcester. I haven't decided which school I should attend.

I am 26 now, and I want to finish a year earlier, but is it worth? Each school has pros and cons. OSU has the highest rank, but 4 year program. Pacific University is a new school. Is it hard to find a job if I graduate school that is not ranked? About MCPHS, I have heard some rumors like high drop out rate, but I'm not sure it's true or not. Tuition of these schools is the same.

Which school should I go for? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted into Oregon State University, Pacific University (Oregon), and MCPHS - Worcester. I haven't decided which school I should attend.

I am 26 now, and I want to finish a year earlier, but is it worth? Each school has pros and cons. OSU has the highest rank, but 4 year program. Pacific University is a new school. Is it hard to find a job if I graduate school that is not ranked? About MCPHS, I have heard some rumors like high drop out rate, but I'm not sure it's true or not. Tuition of these schools is the same.

Which school should I go for? PLEASE HELP ME!!!

IMHO, I would just go to Oregon State University in a heartbeat. The school has a much more established reputation and the tuition is much more affordable (~19k a year for in-states!). The impression I got from many students who take accelerated programs like Pacific or MCPHS is that its extremely intense and you never really have time to breath. Remember even if you graduate in 3 years, you may still have trouble finding a residency/job in some areas.

IMHO, I would just go to Oregon State University in a heartbeat. The school has a much more established reputation and the tuition is much more affordable (~19k a year for in-states!). The impression I got from many students who take accelerated programs like Pacific or MCPHS is that its extremely intense and you never really have time to breath. Remember even if you graduate in 3 years, you may still have trouble finding a residency/job in some areas.

I would attend Pacific, at their open house students said that they often beat out OSU students for residencies. Also, what you're paying in extra tuition costs, you'll make it back your first year working. If you're really worried about finding a job be sure to make great connections at all of your placement sites. I spoke to some of the Pacific students and they stressed that at first it is hard to adjust, but it gets easier with time and that the schedule is very doable to have a social life outside of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you plan to do a residency, Oregon State is better. Its rank and being a four year school is an advantage. Plus, with Pacific's pass/fail grading system, you really have to make other areas of your application stand out since you can't use your GPA. However, if you plan to start working right after graduation, I would say you are better off in a 3yr program, like RuralJuror said, it costs you less because you can start working a year sooner, and start paying back your loans a year sooner. I would recommend Pacific too since for a three year school, the schedule seems pretty good and not too stressful. Students at MCPHS don't seem happy, ever.

And just to let you know, I am giving you my honest advice, because I am on the waitlist at Pacific, and I would actually really love it if you gave up your seat!

IMHO, Pacific University may be a more viable and practical option than Oregon State. The advantages or reasons:

* shorter time frame - yes, tuition is a bit higher, but you get out sooner, thus you actually start making money faster than traditional 4-year students. If you're looking at overall net gains (student loans vs. return of investment), then Pacific is better. Also, in this economy and competitive market, earlier job placement is crucial! OSU also has more fees including a new mandatory health insurance starting this year for new 2012 incoming students.
* accelerated program - in speaking with students who are in both schools, some OSU students have told me that they wish they were at Pacific because the school has a lower or possibly zero attrition rate since they give so many opportunities to students who does not "pass" in a class whereas OSU is more strict and students can be put on academic suspension. PacificU does have Pass/No pass system but in reality students need a ~85% passing rate for the classes with 5% being a group exam (making up 90% or equivalent to an "A" letter grade), but they test on more general concepts since they are moving at a faster pace (think of accelerated summer classes) where as OSU is very detail-driven with tests being "harder" from what I've seen
* block curriculum – ability to master 1 subject at a time with competition removed in the classroom since everyone needs the same percentage to pass. Pacific prides themselves on a collaborative manner where you get to not only work with other pharmacy students, but as well with students from the other interdisciplinary health programs (PA, PT, etc.)
* residencies – although OSU is more established, I have seen Pacific students getting more residencies because the overall curriculum is more motivating for students. For example, the recent class of OHSU PGY-1s have 2 Pacific students where as there was only 1 OSU student. Again, residencies nowadays aren't just looking at the letter grades, but what students have done. Pacific is on the right track with their better representative clinical faculty and the overall direction of where they're moving. It could also be location-driven since OSU is 2 years in Corvallis and 1 year in Portland but Pacific has all of their years in Hillsboro (near Portland - EXCELLENT social life scene!). But if you're into research, Oregon State may be better.

Just my 2 cents. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
IMHO, Pacific University may be a more viable and practical option than Oregon State. The advantages or reasons:

* shorter time frame - yes, tuition is a bit higher, but you get out sooner, thus you actually start making money faster than traditional 4-year students. If you’re looking at overall net gains (student loans vs. return of investment), then Pacific is better. Also, in this economy and competitive market, earlier job placement is crucial! OSU also has more fees including a new mandatory health insurance starting this year for new 2012 incoming students.
* accelerated program - in speaking with students who are in both schools, some OSU students have told me that they wish they were at Pacific because the school has a lower or possibly zero attrition rate since they give so many opportunities to students who does not “pass” in a class whereas OSU is more strict and students can be put on academic suspension. PacificU does have Pass/No pass system but in reality students need a ~85% passing rate for the classes with 5% being a group exam (making up 90% or equivalent to an “A” letter grade), but they test on more general concepts since they are moving at a faster pace (think of accelerated summer classes) where as OSU is very detail-driven with tests being “harder” from what I’ve seen
* block curriculum – ability to master 1 subject at a time with competition removed in the classroom since everyone needs the same percentage to pass. Pacific prides themselves on a collaborative manner where you get to not only work with other pharmacy students, but as well with students from the other interdisciplinary health programs (PA, PT, etc.)
* residencies – although OSU is more established, I have seen Pacific students getting more residencies because the overall curriculum is more motivating for students. For example, the recent class of OHSU PGY-1s have 2 Pacific students where as there was only 1 OSU student. Again, residencies nowadays aren’t just looking at the letter grades, but what students have done. Pacific is on the right track with their better representative clinical faculty and the overall direction of where they’re moving. It could also be location-driven since OSU is 2 years in Corvallis and 1 year in Portland but Pacific has all of their years in Hillsboro (near Portland - EXCELLENT social life scene!). But if you're into research, Oregon State may be better.

Great points! But remember Pacific Oregon is also very strict on attendance. You can't even miss a day of class, and they do make you sign an agreement on that on the first day if class. I was talking with a P3 who almost couldn't make it to his wife giving birth due to classes.

* shorter time frame - yes, tuition is a bit higher, but you get out sooner, thus you actually start making money faster than traditional 4-year students. If you’re looking at overall net gains (student loans vs. return of investment), then Pacific is better. Also, in this economy and competitive market, earlier job placement is crucial! OSU also has more fees including a new mandatory health insurance starting this year for new 2012 incoming students.
* accelerated program - in speaking with students who are in both schools, some OSU students have told me that they wish they were at Pacific because the school has a lower or possibly zero attrition rate since they give so many opportunities to students who does not “pass” in a class whereas OSU is more strict and students can be put on academic suspension. PacificU does have Pass/No pass system but in reality students need a ~85% passing rate for the classes with 5% being a group exam (making up 90% or equivalent to an “A” letter grade), but they test on more general concepts since they are moving at a faster pace (think of accelerated summer classes) where as OSU is very detail-driven with tests being “harder” from what I’ve seen
* residencies – although OSU is more established, I have seen Pacific students getting more residencies because the overall curriculum is more motivating for students. For example, the recent class of OHSU PGY-1s have 2 Pacific students where as there was only 1 OSU student. Again, residencies nowadays aren’t just looking at the letter grades, but what students have done. Pacific is on the right track with their better representative clinical faculty and the overall direction of where they’re moving. It could also be location-driven since OSU is 2 years in Corvallis and 1 year in Portland but Pacific has all of their years in Hillsboro (near Portland - EXCELLENT social life scene!). But if you're into research, Oregon State may be better.

Thanks for your advice. But I did not have much experience as a pharmacy technician. Do you think it will be hard for me to find a job after graduating from Pacific because there's not enough time to work? At OSU, I can work in the summer to get more experience on hands.

If you want to be respected in the health care community at all you'll go to Oregon State. If you want to go to a diploma mill and sing cumbaya all day you'll go to Pacific and learn to depend on a team for everything. But guess what? When you get in the real world and are part of a coordinated care organization, which is where the profession is heading, are you going to get to call another pharmacist to answer all of your questions as you would at Pacific? No. Are you going to be better at dealing with chaos when you've been working in a block schedule the whole time instead of getting stuff thrown at you from every angle? No. Go to a real institution hat has actually been established instead of some ******* one-building school that pops up out of nowhere and saturates the job market for those of us that actually work hard for a degree.

LoL.. you are obviously a loser...

In the state of Oregon, Oregon state is better. The first couple accredited classes of Pacific were quite good pharmacist. Yet since their accreditation, the quality of students have declined. The quality of health care professionals that will be produced by that institution will become and a hindrance to the profession. The pharmacy profession is needed to grow and expand in healthcare and the level of education offered by that college is minimal.They serve only has robots to put pills in a bottle where in industry requires more informed and brilliant minds.

More informed and brilliant minds? Like yours, GetYoEducation? You'll excuse me if I take the musings of someone who can barely string together a few sentences of comprehensible English with a grain of salt.

More informed and brilliant minds? Like yours, GetYoEducation? You'll excuse me if I take the musings of someone who can barely string together a few sentences of comprehensible English with a grain of salt.

:laugh: Nice!