Oregon State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FunnyPHARM

Ready to Retire
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has heard from Oregon State?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I submitted my supplementary essay on the 3rd and havent heard a word (other than receipt confirmation for the essay). Hopefully soon....

John

OSU said they will be sending out interview invitations and admissions denials via email from now until March. So check your emails! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
imprecious said:
OSU said they will be sending out interview invitations and admissions denials via email from now until March. So check your emails! :)

Did you hear any info on the process beyond the timeframe? Are they using a rolling scheme based on when they came in, or are they reviewing the whole pot at once and issuing interviews once they are all scored?

jbe4 said:
Did you hear any info on the process beyond the timeframe? Are they using a rolling scheme based on when they came in, or are they reviewing the whole pot at once and issuing interviews once they are all scored?
hey i got interview from oregon university two weeks before..it was today..there were bout 48 applicants for interview...their next date is 28th jan....and may be 1 more to go...mine was 4th batch....they were already done with 3 batches...in total they are interview 1000 applicants and only 60 are going to be accepted : :scared: so i hope this helps...

reni said:
hey i got interview from oregon university two weeks before..it was today..there were bout 48 applicants for interview...their next date is 28th jan....and may be 1 more to go...mine was 4th batch....they were already done with 3 batches...in total they are interview 1000 applicants and only 60 are going to be accepted : :scared: so i hope this helps...

i thought they accept 80 students

reni said:
...in total they are interview 1000 applicants ...

1000?? lol... This is just a hunch, but I think you might be a little off there.

BiOGoly said:
1000?? lol... This is just a hunch, but I think you might be a little off there.
S/He is a little off in general

reni said:

I believe that could be the low end number of applicants they received, and will pick a percentage of that number to interview, and accept 60 or 80 students; whatever is the true number they accept. All in all, thats not a good percentage at all. But i guess it's good to keep those who are in it for the money out... :smuggrin:

Last Year's Stats:

Total PharmCAS completed applications received - 975
Number interviewed - 160
Number accepted - 80
Estimated entering class size - 80

Has anyone heard back the results from his or her interview? I still haven't :(

marrymenatalie said:
Has anyone heard back the results from his or her interview? I still haven't :(
hey guys..really made a blunder...wanted to write 100 but came out 1000 sorry for that

When did you submit your supplemental essay?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you submit your supplemental essay?

I just got an email for an interview on 2/10, I submitted my supplemental app in Auguest.

I recently spoke with someone who interviewed at OSU in late January last year and got an acceptance letter after two weeks, but of course, results may vary. Also, according to previous posts here and word of mouth, if you get placed on the waitlist, your chances of getting in are very good.

hey guys...i talked to a few osu pharm students p1 and p2, they said the school has sent out a few acceptance letters to some...just wanted to let you guys know..And good luck to you all...

Hey...BiOGoly
you got accepted to pacific? wen was your interview? i was just interviewed last week...heheh...maybe ill see you there.... :D

Just wondering, for those of you who have received an interview invite from OSU, are you Oregon residents or out-of-state?

I'm an Oregon resident. As a state college, OSU will prefer students who are in-state. There aren't any stats on their website for last year's applicants, but for the year before, it was something like 22% of the applicants were in-state, but 86% of those accepted were in-state.

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update - I was told that OSU will still be holding interviews thru the middle of next month, and that decisions will be made thru the end of March via email. So everyone, hang tight!

I just had my interview today. I was told there was around 1000 applicants this year and about %15-20 got interviews. Decisions will be all finished at the end of March.

axum1 said:
I just had my interview today. I was told there was around 1000 applicants this year and about %15-20 got interviews. Decisions will be all finished at the end of March.

Do you happen to know if they are still having more interviews?
Thanks!

FunnyPHARM said:
Do you happen to know if they are still having more interviews?
Thanks!

Is OSU still in the process of sending out invitations for interviews? Thanks :)

imprecious said:
Is OSU still in the process of sending out invitations for interviews? Thanks :)
I don't know for sure, but I got my interview invitation two weeks ahead of the interview date, and since they said they'd be interviewing thru the middle of next month, I'd say they are.

I have heard that OSU has already sent out rejection letters. But have acceptance letters been sent out yet? Thanks. :thumbup:

imprecious said:
I have heard that OSU has already sent out rejection letters. But have acceptance letters been sent out yet? Thanks. :thumbup:

arrgh...I haven't heard anything from them.

hey...i got an acceptance letter last weekhttp://forums.studentdoctor.net/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=3391042#
Cool and a friend of mine has an interview on 3/10. I think this may be the last round invited?

I just received an interview request from OSU today!!! I totally lost hope a few weeks ago, so I'm elated. Anyway, they only offered one date, March 17, so I assume that this is the last interview date for the year.

jbe4 said:
I just received an interview request from OSU today!!! I totally lost hope a few weeks ago, so I'm elated. Anyway, they only offered one date, March 17, so I assume that this is the last interview date for the year.

is your interview in corvallis or portland? i posted feedback after my interview on 2/24 but it was in portland so it might be a little different if your's is in corvallis! good luck! :luck:

ginephre said:
is your interview in corvallis or portland? i posted feedback after my interview on 2/24 but it was in portland so it might be a little different if your's is in corvallis! good luck! :luck:

My interview is in Corvallis, but I'll read your notes on the Portland interview.

Thanks

Ginephre- could you point to the thread with your OSU interview experience.... I searched your posts and couldn't locate it.

Anyone else's experience interviewing at OSU would be greatly appreciated, as this is my 1st interview and I need to prepare over the next week.

John

jbe4 said:
Ginephre- could you point to the thread with your OSU interview experience.... I searched your posts and couldn't locate it.

Anyone else's experience interviewing at OSU would be greatly appreciated, as this is my 1st interview and I need to prepare over the next week.

John

its in the interview feedback section, not in the forums. . .

Wow. They just sent you guys an e-mail today regarding an interview for next Friday? That's awfully short notice. Have fun! Best wishes ;)

imprecious said:
Wow. They just sent you guys an e-mail today regarding an interview for next Friday? That's awfully short notice. Have fun! Best wishes ;)

Yeah... it is way later than I expected. I gave up hope a few weeks ago, so it floored me when I opened up the email. I live in Portland and am a staff scientist at OHSU, which shares the program's administration with OSU, so it could be due to my perceived ease of making accomodations and proximity to Corvallis. I also applied very near the end of the application cycle. I'm trying not to read into the late notice too much, as I tend to think that it's a bad sign in regards to the strength of my application. I'm just glad to have made the 1st cut.

I'm getting paranoid about the odd interview date. The request email stated 7 days RSVP, which means that I have to notify them by the day before my interview? LOL, as I'm sure it's a stock email form. I keep thinking that I'm just interviewing because some faculty member put up a fight for me and that I have zero chance of matriculating. My stats are above their posted average, but still it seems odd to recieve what may be the last request this late in the cycle. With only one date offered, it makes me wonder what I'd do if I hade an experimental time-point on that day....... I'd have to decline unless they offered another date, which seems unlikely at this hour. Is this all just paranoia?

What's up with the flux in interview reviews? There were 3 more OSU specific submissions yesterday, including 2 more 2k6 entries.

I completed my application in October and interviewed in January, but have heard nothing since then. Initially was told that I would hear the news (good or bad) by mid-march. Later I heard that everyone would know their status before April. Does anyone know anything? I am going crazy from all this waiting!

No, I haven't heard anything either. Only a few days left in March...

Actually, I just got an email, and I was rejected. Oh well, life goes on. OSU was my only choice, but part of me was looking forward to spending another year as an undergrad. I knew, realistically, that my chances weren't that good, since I only decided on pharmacy instead of grad school last September.

Me too. Very sad, as I just interviewed ~10 days ago.

I was placed on the alternate list... I didn't even know they had that for OSU :(

I received an acceptance email.... i was TOTALLY not expecting it! I thought for sure i was going to get waitlisted at best because i thought my interview was horrible and i'm out of state. yay beavers! :love:

Congratulations ginephre! Nice to know at least someone here got in. orstgrl - I heard that last year everyone on the waitlist got in, so don't feel discouraged!

:eek: Since I already have my B.S. I am not sure what to do with myself for the next few months. I completed the Biochem 490 and 491 but haven't signed up for 492 yet. What do you think? Should I just take the 492, to have it done just in case I make the final cut, or should I go work as a pharmacy technician and continue my volunteer work instead?

Have you taken Z 430-432? If not, I would definitely recommend that you take BB 492 to meet the prerequisite. The class is full right now, but I don't think you'll have trouble getting an override from the BB office. If you have taken physiology, definitely work, and you can just take 492 later. BB 492 was my favorite out of the 490 series, definitely not as rough as 491. Like I implied earlier, I think your chances are pretty good, but it's a little weird to see two alternates here on the forums, since I believe last year the alternate list wasn't that big (<10), but things can change.

orstgrl said:
I was placed on the alternate list... I didn't even know they had that for OSU :(

The student representatives that spoke to my interview group said that everyone on the alt list was offered a place last year (2/4 of them were on the alt list). Good luck!

for those of you who interviewed in corvallis, what did think of the campus and students? what was your overall impression of the program? i interviewed in portland and there weren't any students around to talk to! a faculty member gave us the tour!

ginephre, I'm currently an undergrad at OSU. I spoke with a P1 about a week before my interview, and she seemed to like the program, just dealing with the heavy coursework like everyone else. I didn't have a chance to speak to any Pharm.D. students during the interview, but an advisor gave us a tour of the building and she just pulled some random students to have a quick chat. To me, they seemed like the typical students who are glad to be there, but doing their best to get by under all the pressures of school. I might be a bit biased, but I think it's a nice campus. Corvallis is a small town, and probably because of this, OSU is an 'isolated' campus. By that I mean it's mostly closed off to traffic, unlike others I have seen. I just can't imagine having traffic constantly go by outside the classroom. That's not to say, though, that OSU is far from Corvallis. OSU is more like a section or part of Corvallis, rather than integrated into Corvallis.

I really can't think of anything else to say, but I'd be happy to answer anymore questions you might have.

tcid said:
ginephre, I'm currently an undergrad at OSU. I spoke with a P1 about a week before my interview, and she seemed to like the program, just dealing with the heavy coursework like everyone else. I didn't have a chance to speak to any Pharm.D. students during the interview, but an advisor gave us a tour of the building and she just pulled some random students to have a quick chat. To me, they seemed like the typical students who are glad to be there, but doing their best to get by under all the pressures of school. I might be a bit biased, but I think it's a nice campus. Corvallis is a small town, and probably because of this, OSU is an 'isolated' campus. By that I mean it's mostly closed off to traffic, unlike others I have seen. I just can't imagine having traffic constantly go by outside the classroom. That's not to say, though, that OSU is far from Corvallis. OSU is more like a section or part of Corvallis, rather than integrated into Corvallis.

I really can't think of anything else to say, but I'd be happy to answer anymore questions you might have.

thanks for the info! are you originally from oregon or out of state? is it easy/cheap to find apartments somewhat close to campus?

I've lived in the suburbs outside of Portland my whole life before going to OSU. A studio or 1 bedroom in Corvallis can go for anywhere between 250 to 600 a month, whereas a 2 bedroom is usually 400 to 800. I was surprised that the people from out of state at my interview found this to be incredibly cheap, since Corvallis on average has some of the highest rent prices in Oregon. With regards to how easy it is to get an apartment, you won't have any trouble (even on the 1st day of the school year) if you're a little flexible on quality, but the good ones go fast.

I don't know if they mentioned this to everyone, but OSU's Portland location (where P3's have classes) will be moving to a new building at OHSU along the riverfront that's scheduled to be done this fall. I think they said it would be at the 12th floor :( so it's a chance for P3's to get some exercise!

If you're interested in what life is like in Corvallis/Oregon, yes it rains almost all the time, except during the summer when you can't remember the last time it did rain. Might I mention that we pay no sales tax? :) On the other hand, it's illegal for us to pump our own gas.