Organic 2 for Nova

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FL Opt Girl

NSUCO c/o 2012!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, all

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it is necessary (or makes you more competitive) to have Organic 2 to get into Nova?

Thanks;)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, all

I was wondering if anyone could tell me whether it is necessary (or makes you more competitive) to have Organic 2 to get into Nova?

Thanks;)

I was talking to Fran, one of the admissions advisors, and she told me that even though Biochemistry, Microbiology and Organic Chemistry 2 aren't on the pre-reqs, that it is highly recommended that you do take it. She said that classes that students entering Optometry school must take, are Biochem, Microbio courses that end in a matter of 6 weeks and the more knowledge you have prior to entering the institution, the better for your knowledge base and ease. Hope this helps.

By the way, she also mentioned that students with a degree versus students who meet the pre-reqs are looked at the same. Reason being is we are all in it for one goal; to become future Optometrists. So the competition between students who achieved a degree versus those who didn't and were accepted, are almost identical. Basically, what I'm trying to get at is, it doesn't make you look any more competitive. They look at you as a whole, your GPA, your OAT scores and you as an individual.

I see, thanks for your help! It's hard being a marine science major (and psych minor) because I haven't had the room in my schedule to take those "highly recommended but not required" classes. :cool: I am trying to fit in microbiology next sem. though...

I see, thanks for your help! It's hard being a marine science major (and psych minor) because I haven't had the room in my schedule to take those "highly recommended but not required" classes. :cool: I am trying to fit in microbiology next sem. though...
Don't be afraid to take it. It isn't as bad as it may seem. Right now I am taking it and it's a really fun class to take. Very interesting, or atleast my professor makes it seem so. But if you are unsure how difficult a class is at your school try using pickaprof.com or ratemyprofessor.com