Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

Organic Biochemistry

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical Osteopathic [ DO ]' started by Mrs.Buckeye1992, 05.16.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Mrs.Buckeye1992

Mrs.Buckeye1992 Queen of the World.

Pre-Medical
    Hey all! I took an Organic Biochemistry class (labeled as a 103 level) freshman year at a nursing college and wondered if all/or some schools would count this as part of my Ochem pre-req? Or is there an official way to find this out?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. gocougs339

gocougs339

Probably not. My school offered an organic chemistry for nursing students that was a 100 level class. However, it didn't count for the pre-med organic chemistry requirement. I can't imagine many med-schools counting a 100 level orgo class as the real deal.

4. Mrs.Buckeye1992

Mrs.Buckeye1992 Queen of the World.

Pre-Medical
    What about for a Biochem pre req?

5. iWillOneDay

iWillOneDay Banned Banned

Pre-Medical
    Highly likely not... though the best way to find out is to contact a school or aacomas....
    Biochem is normally a 400 level class.
    If people can take that 100 level class to satisfy biochem requirement, why in the world would anyone take the 400 level biochem....

6. Buckeye1992

Buckeye1992 5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Pre-Medical
    It was taken at a strictly nursing school with a set curriculum. 100 level signals it is taken first year

7. Tariqd

Tariqd 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yea we have a similar class for nurses at my university. I can tell you there is a 99.99% chance it doesn't count toward any pre-reqs needed for med school. It may count as a science class though.

8. Mad Jack

Mad Jack Critically Caring Gold Donor 2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's an allied health course that is watered down on both the orgo and biochem side of things. Won't count for anything, just like my cardiopulmonary anatomy and physiology courses didn't count as science courses.

About the ads