Organic Chem online?

Started by Marge1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Marge1

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone in has taken Organic Chem I & II online during the summer? I am trying to get those pre req's out of the way this summer so that I can begin the professional phase next year. My school also requires a lab component. Does anyone know of any online programs that allow you to complete both the class and lab portions online? I have heard about a virtual chemistry lab, but have not been able to find any.

Thanks!
 
Hi,
I took this with University of New England online. I did do the labs in person a few years ago, I just needed to be redo the lecture portions. They do have virtual labs, and they do teach a lot.

Do a search on University of New England's website--put in Distance Education..

PM me if you have any questions!

Hello.

I was wondering if anyone in has taken Organic Chem I & II online during the summer? I am trying to get those pre req's out of the way this summer so that I can begin the professional phase next year. My school also requires a lab component. Does anyone know of any online programs that allow you to complete both the class and lab portions online? I have heard about a virtual chemistry lab, but have not been able to find any.

Thanks!
 
I wouldn't do it.

I'm sure some pharmacy schools frown about completing pre-requisite material online.

And if you think it will be easy, you'll be working twice as hard as in the classroom.

By the way, you can't do Org II without background material from Org. I (especially the end of Org I). It's better to be patient when it comes to courses such as these, so take your time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't do it.

I'm sure some pharmacy schools frown about completing pre-requisite material online.

And if you think it will be easy, you'll be working twice as hard as in the classroom.

By the way, you can't do Org II without background material from Org. I (especially the end of Org I). It's better to be patient when it comes to courses such as these, so take your time.


I agree. OChem in itself can be a beast.
 
Organic chemistry is considered a weed out class for med school, dental school, and obviously pharmacy school, etc. "Getting it out of the way" will not help you retain the important information you will need to do well on the PCAT exam...I don't know if you would need to take the PCAT for your professional program, but if you do you will want to know OChem concepts very well. I would think it would be rather difficult to do online unless you are seriously more intelligent than the majority of people going into pharmacy.
 
Organic chemistry is considered a weed out class for med school, dental school, and obviously pharmacy school, etc. "Getting it out of the way" will not help you retain the important information you will need to do well on the PCAT exam...I don't know if you would need to take the PCAT for your professional program, but if you do you will want to know OChem concepts very well. I would think it would be rather difficult to do online unless you are seriously more intelligent than the majority of people going into pharmacy.

This is all true.
It was my toughest class

It's something you don't want to just "get it out of the way". That's risky for a very very important class. It's the foundation of many classes in Chemistry and Biology, especially Biochemistry and others. You'll constantly be using concepts you learned in Organic Chemistry. It's totally worth slowing down to catch every word, problem, etc. You really don't want to get by in O-Chem; it needs to be understood.
 
Last edited:
out of any class don't do ochem online! ochem is one of your most important courses prior to pharmacy school.