SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Organic Chem

Discussion in 'OAT Discussions' started by bd722, Jun 21, 2008.

1. bd722

bd722 ICO class of 2013!!! 2+ Year Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Hey guys,

I was just wondering how everyone who took the OATs studied for the Organic chem section. I have the Kaplan books so I have gone thru all the material but I can't seem to memorize every reaction type. I took Orgo almost two years ago so I have forgotten a lot of it. Any suggestions?? Also, did anyone else who used the OAT Destroyer feel that the questions were way more difficult in the OC section than what is seen on the actual exams???

Thanks! :)
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. sportsdude00

sportsdude00 2+ Year Member

Jun 20, 2008
    I haven't taken the exam, but I'm currently studying for it. I remember when I was taking the classes, all I used were flashcards to remember the reactions. I definitely couldn't remember them all, so I learned most of the mechanisms. If you can understand the mechanisms for most of them, you should have a good understanding and be able to predict the reactions. Good luck!
  4. JMU07

JMU07 5+ Year Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Flash cards, definitely. The OAT ochem is a billion times easier than it is in class. No drawing mechanisms!!!!!! :D (which is what I was really bad at) I did really well on that section, even though I didn't do so hot in class.
  5. panzer

panzer 2+ Year Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Is one semester of organic enough for the nomenclature and reactions? I mean you don't go into aromide reactions etc do you in the test?