Organic Chemistry 2 after the DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Like_Groceries

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

It's looking like I will be taking the DAT before taking Organic Chemistry 2 (not being offered for cont. edu. students in the fall)

Has anyone found the OC portion of the DAT doable w/o taking orgo 2? I will still take it, it will just have to be after the DAT.

Would self studying orgo 2 material be helpful?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

When I took the DAT it was nearly all orgo 2. With that being said though, if you follow the boot camp model and memorize the synthesis reaction pathways it is actually doable and you can still do well. You will need to learn the material though, everyone suggest Chad's videos, and if you need a copy of some condensed orgo pathways I can probably find some from my home computer and send them your way

I'd highly recommend you take Orgo 2 before taking the DAT. Although DAT Orgo won't be as detailed as what you'll be tested on in that course, it'll make it a lot easier on you to study for the DATs.
If you must take it before then look over Chad's videos and do every single problem from DAT Destroyer and DAT Bootcamp. Do them multiple times if you can and understand the questions/answers. I can guarantee you at least 20 out of the 30 questions you'll get on the exam will be extremely similar. The only thing that might throw you off is a random reaction/pathway.

Reactions: 1 user
Not a problem at all in my opinion! I took it over Christmas break after only having taken ochem 1 and got a 26 in organic. Memorize the reactions, and as long as you have spectroscopy, acid/base stuff, resonance, and aromaticity down you will be golden. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
This will totally depend on the type of learner you are. Some students have no problem self-learning difficult materials through notes, YouTube, and different resources. The toughest part of this is saying motivated and learning in a short period of time. This is extremely difficult for other students. The advantage of taking the course first is that you will strengthen your basic OC knowledge and learn the material in a more consistent but prolonged manner which usually results in better understanding of the overall concepts.

Is it required in order for you to do well? No, definitely not.

Will it help? Absolutely.

If you think you have what it takes to set aside time and tackle the subject in a systematic way, then i would suggest doing it. If not (which is the most case for most students), I would recommend you to hold off on writing the DAT until you are finished the course and feel ready.

Hi Everyone,

It's looking like I will be taking the DAT before taking Organic Chemistry 2 (not being offered for cont. edu. students in the fall)

Has anyone found the OC portion of the DAT doable w/o taking orgo 2? I will still take it, it will just have to be after the DAT.

Thanks!

From many years of experience it is always best to finish the required course work before taking the DAT. Self teaching Orgo is not an easy task, but if you are a great student with a strong foundation in Orgo 1, meaning with an A in the class with a good Professor, it might be doable. Organic Chemistry is NOT memorization, you have to know what you are doing. I assure you there is a fair amount of Orgo 2 on the DAT.

Wishing you the best.

Nancy

I took DAT before taking any of orgo 1 and 2. Studied hard for 3 weeks and got 21 on orgo. And now, after taking orgo1 and orgo2 in progress, it feels like I can score higher if I re-take DAT. I would say if you want to score really high idk...like 23? you might want to use all your resources but if you are a person like myself who wants to score just enough to be considered as an applicant so I don’t need to take a gap year, give it a try you can do it.

Hi Everyone,

Thanks!

If you have to take the DAT before finishing organic chemistry, please be sure to study the necessary material on your own or take an online course. I recommend an online course since it can help provide structure and discipline.

When I took the DAT it was nearly all orgo 2. With that being said though, if you follow the boot camp model and memorize the synthesis reaction pathways it is actually doable and you can still do well. You will need to learn the material though, everyone suggest Chad's videos, and if you need a copy of some condensed orgo pathways I can probably find some from my home computer and send them your way
Hi! I’m currently trying to self study the pathways. Would you mind sending them to me? If not I totally understand. Thanks!

I was in your same shoes. I took the DAT before taking OChem 2 and it ended up being my best scoring section. Chad's videos are the real deal here. They'll teach you EVERYTHING you need to know when it comes to Ochem for the DAT.