Organic Chemistry Portion

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hye345

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking the PCAT this July, and the one area thats left to focus on is organic chemistry. Fortunately, I still have my 3 old ochem notebooks (1 for each quarter), but they are pretty dense... I'm wondering, how in-depth si the organic chemistry portion of the PCAT? Do we have to know about pushing electrons, all the intermediate steps of some of the longer reactions, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I'm taking the PCAT this July, and the one area thats left to focus on is organic chemistry. Fortunately, I still have my 3 old ochem notebooks (1 for each quarter), but they are pretty dense... I'm wondering, how in-depth si the organic chemistry portion of the PCAT? Do we have to know about pushing electrons, all the intermediate steps of some of the longer reactions, etc... any help would be greatly appreciated.

For O chem, what i remember seeing is nomenclature (the bulk), e1/e2 & sn1/sn2 reactions, and some of the more basic reactions like, 'if you add Br2 to this compound and its ortho, whats the product'. I wouldnt be concerned with intermediate steps, but pushing electrons is sort of the gist of o chem, so i would conceptually understand whats going on.