Organic Chemistry question/concern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Predentknight

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am in the process of writing out all the reactions and I am referencing Kaplan Blue book and my text book. It seems that Kaplan is extremely basic in the detail and even leaving out certain reaction that are found in my textbook. To those who have taken the DAT, Does Kaplan go into enough depth to completely ace the Organic section on the DAT or should I know more??

Members don't see this ad.

from what i've heard from various threads in the forum, the kaplan book does a pretty good job of preparing you for the actual exam... i only used the kaplan book the first time i took the DAT and i got an 18. now that's not a phenomenal score but then again, i def didn't prepare as much as i should have... so take it for what you will haha.

i made the same mistake you are going through right now. i used mainly my gchem book for study material the first time and went wayyy too much in depth. your text book will show how to derive all of the equations, when the kaplan will just give it to you and show a couple problems on how to use it. i think if you're a logical person, you can take all you need from the derived formulas (given from Kaplan) you can deduce anything else you need to based on the information given on the test.

i made a 19 in gchem last year when i took it, and i thought i could have done so much better if i would have just remembered some of the basic formulas and not tried to memorize ALL the details about them as they are mentioned in your text book.