Organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aosos1

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, I did well in my organic chem 1&2 classes and scored well on my OAT but I was wondering if organic chemistry will be used in classes in optometry school. I took the course last year and I am worried that I will forget most of the material in the next year. Should I be reviewing reactions/concepts?

Members don't see this ad.

No.

You may run into some ochem for pharmacology courses- even then it is mostly mechanisms, not organic chemistry reactions unless your professor specifies you need to remember something specific about that drug structure.

Bro, do you even Cis and Trans?

No.

You may run into some ochem for pharmacology courses- even then it is mostly mechanisms, not organic chemistry reactions unless your professor specifies you need to remember something specific about that drug structure.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
No chemistry is involved. Half the people in my class don't even know what pKA, enthalpy, or conjugated pi bonds even mean

Reactions: 1 user
I have never used chemistry, or organic chemistry in practice. Organic chemistry was intriguing to me when I attended, but little value in everyday optometric practices.

Hi... I hear Organic Chemistry is hard, yet I am trying to prevent myself from having a gap year when I apply to vet school. Has anyone taken Organic Chemistry 1 in summer A and Organic Chemistry in summer B? If I do this I only plan to take this class only, plus organic chemistry lab.

I took it over the summer and thought it was great. Just don’t fall behind or you will have a very hard time.

hi everyone, I did well in my organic chem 1&2 classes and scored well on my OAT but I was wondering if organic chemistry will be used in classes in optometry school. I took the course last year and I am worried that I will forget most of the material in the next year. Should I be reviewing reactions/concepts?

You will need to be comfortable with basic themes/concepts so that if an instructor mentions, say, polar vs. non-polar or partition coefficient, you won't draw a 1000-yard stare. You are not responsible for details and minutiae.

No chemistry is involved. Half the people in my class don't even know what pKA, enthalpy, or conjugated pi bonds even mean

When I teach about pi bonds and cis/trans isomers, I mention that isomerization is the basis behind vision.