Organic Chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DMD to Be

not luffin' this weather.
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got a B in Organic Chemistry this semester, and it makes me want to throw up. I had a 3.9 before this class. Is this really going to hurt me? Specifically the class...because I've heard that they really tend to focus on the organic and physics grades...Help me out here...

Members don't see this ad.

DMD to Be said:
I just got a B in Organic Chemistry this semester, and it makes me want to throw up. I had a 3.9 before this class. Is this really going to hurt me? Specifically the class...because I've heard that they really tend to focus on the organic and physics grades...Help me out here...

no, it won't really hurt you. Ok, you probably wont be able to get in Harvard anymore, but you'll get in somewhere.

DMD to Be said:

you're going to need all the help you can get.

Members don't see this ad :)
DMD to Be said:
...because I've heard that they really tend to focus on the organic and physics grades...Help me out here...

Do you really think they focus on physics grades? I figured these were the least important since they seem the least relevant, especially compared to biology grades.

Macko8144 said:
Do you really think they focus on physics grades? I figured these were the least important since they seem the least relevant, especially compared to biology grades.

I'm dubious of that statement as well. Penn and Buffalo both told me that most people push these to senior year... so they won't even see these grades until after a decision was made on December 1st (if you applied early enough).

you all bit the bate.

sorry sir, you wont get in anywhere, better luck next life time

my ochem grades were B, B, and C+, physics were B, and C. i managed somehow..

You should probably scrap applying this year and really buckle down on those upper level science courses if you want to get in next years cycle.

Then again, it is getting competitive so you might just want to start applying to post-bacc programs now.

Actually, have you taken the DATs yet? If you can manage a 26+ in each section you still might have a chance at some of the less selective schools...

Macko8144 said:

Physics is probably at least as important as the other pre-reqs. A large amount of dentistry is physics -- prostho and ortho for example -- as much as it is bio 101 and gen chem.

Nice name, Mack.

Mack

I can assure you, physics IS the least important class...generalizing indeed, yet this is the case for most dental schools. Organic however is one of the most important, but with your 3.9 GPA, a B is fine...just ace Orgo 2 if you can.

wigglytooth said:
I'm dubious of that statement as well. Penn and Buffalo both told me that most people push these to senior year... so they won't even see these grades until after a decision was made on December 1st (if you applied early enough).

pushing off physics till senior year? whatta nightmare.....id rather get it done quick with all my other prereqs and use my last year to be a bum and drink every night...

you are screwed. I'd switch to pre-med if I were you.

I've got As in all of my science courses except for Organic I and II where I made a B.

I'm sure it will be okay.

dexadental said:
I can assure you, physics IS the least important class...generalizing indeed, yet this is the case for most dental schools. Organic however is one of the most important, but with your 3.9 GPA, a B is fine...just ace Orgo 2 if you can.

Physics isn't even tested on the DAT.

A B is not going to kill you... Jeez overachiever :p I made C+s in organic and im not to worried about it... Ill just kick that part of the DATS a$$