Organic Chemistry??!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oae

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I would like to take the DAT this summer preferably early July.

However, I havent taken Organic Chemistry yet. I have somewhat of a feel for the subject, but I was wondering if it is possible to understand/learn/pass Organic Chemistry for the DATs on my own.

True or False?:" DATs only cover the first half of O Chem?"

Someone told me that once and seemed too good to be true?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

that's false. I don't recommend it but I think you can do it if you study the Kaplan blue book. I hate to repeat myself but Kaplan worked for me...I was out of school for a decade and that's all I used
BTW, what is the rush, go volunteer somewhere and see if you really like dentistry plus spice up your resume...I have friends who have 23's all acrossed and are not getting in...sorry for the long answer:D
good luck to you

yea I agree. FALSE! I knew a gut who did that and lets just say he did not get in! I have also heard that DAT only covers the first half of o chem, first hand from dent school but that was total BS! If you want to get in do not do that!

Members don't see this ad :)
what was this guy who didnt get in dental school DAT score in the O chem section? Not good im guessing....

I took it with only the first semester of organic and scored a 20. It's not that the second semester isn't covered, but it is so basic that you can learn it out of the kaplan book.

In Organic II the class, you are required to know HOW reactions occur, but on the DAT, you only need to know what goes in and what comes out. This makes it much easier. Plus, the treatment of spectroscopy on the DAT is very basic and easy to self teach.

You could do it.

Let's be honest, most of us FORGOT (or maybe just me :) ) what we learned in Ochem 2-3+ years ago. Yes, we do have an idea, but learning and memorizing the Wolff-Kishner Reduction is just as hard if we took it and forgot it and if we didn't take it at all.

So I would say do it. BUT you do need time to study. If your bio is weak as well, then July might be too early. Kaplan is a really good indicator of the Ochem test difficulty.