organic chemistry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meteorstar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to a private college out of state. but i took organic chemistry over the summer and got C on both semesters. However, the C is not calculated into my gpa and does not show up on my transcript. The transcript basically just show that i took it and got credits on it. So my question is, when applying to pharmacy school, will they know that i got a C in orgo? b/c it's not shown on the transcript. Also another question is whether i should retake that class? Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

If the grade does not show up on your transcript then I am guessing that No they will not know you made a C however, you will need a letter grade when applying to pharmacy school so I am pretty sure you will have to retake that class for a letter grade. Contact the school or schools you want to apply to and ask them.

It may send up a red flag during the initial review of your application as organic chemistry is a requirement for pretty much every 2+4 school requires it. They're going to want to know why you don't have a grade and may assume that you just passed anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also took summer classes at a college where I did not earn my degree. On my degree institution's transcript, it records that I took these summer classes and received credit, but the grades are not recorded (sounds like your situation). HOWEVER, PharmCAS will see this and request the transcript to your summer school, which will include your C grades. There is really no way to hide grades from PharmCAS. If you don't submit a grade, they will not count the class as taken. This is what I found while applying.

What LabbyRatty said is correct. You are required to report all classes taken and send a transcript from every college you have attended, so yes they will know the grade. You should think about the rest of your grades when deciding to retake o.chem. If you have a pretty strong GPA, than the two Cs won't be as bad. However, o.chem is a really important class and I've seen schools that won't accept anything lower than a B. Really depends on where you apply. If you contact a school they might be able to tell you how much emphasis they place on an ochem grade.

When you change colleges, they only transfer the credits and not the grade, usually. That's why you don't see a grade for your ochem.

Do you guys think i should retake organic chemistry in my own school then? i have mostly B's and 2 C+ in my science classes as of right now. so if they count the 2 C's in organic chemistry that would hurt my science gpa a lot.

I would retake it. Why did you take them at another college anyways? Figured it might be easier there?

I'm sorry for highjacking this thread, but I just got my grade for the semester and i got a C+ for ochem 1, I had A- for general chem 1 and 2 and anatomy and I did AP general bio. Should I retake ochem?

If you do just as bad in ochem II, yea, retake it.