Witless

10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2008
Status
I'm currently an undergrad studying pathobiology and I'm pretty sure that after college, I am going to pursue a MPH in either infectious disease epidemiology or public health informatics (ideally, I'd find a school where I could study both). I have to take organic chemistry to fulfill a requirement for my major, but my school offers two ochem pathways and I'm not sure which one to choose. One is a one-semester, "abridged" version with optional lab that covers only the necessities and one is the normal two-semester sequence with lab. Is an in-depth knowledge of ochem at all necessary to get into school for either of the things I'm interested in studying?

Awapi

UGA VetMed c/o 2021
7+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2010
Status
Veterinary Student
I can't remember which program I was looking at, but one for infectious diseases (Maybe UPitt) required full-on Organic Chemistry. I graduated a few years ago from college and I've never had to explain why I took full Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry, but I have been asked why I took an abridged form of Microbiology (at a job where it wasn't even relevant). If you think that you can do well in the full version then I would take it, you'll never regret it unless you slack and do poorly, but if you put in the time and do your best it will open more doors for you and limit you less in the future.