Organic Chemsitry- DAT Bootcamp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Halie

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a little under a month away from taking the DAT. I have already been through all the videos for organic chemistry and the other topics as well. I am using DAT bootcamp to study for the exam. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach memorizing the mechanisms for orgo. I have printed out the several page Organic Chem reaction summary sheet and have been going over the roadmaps. Does anyone have any other advise?

Members don't see this ad.

So I am a little under a month away from taking the DAT. I have already been through all the videos for organic chemistry and the other topics as well. I am using DAT bootcamp to study for the exam. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to approach memorizing the mechanisms for orgo. I have printed out the several page Organic Chem reaction summary sheet and have been going over the roadmaps. Does anyone have any other advise?

You don’t really have to know the reaction mechanism, but you do have to be able to identify what type of reaction is taking place based on the substrate and reaction conditions. I wrote my own notes, and this really helped me solidify the information:

I wrote them out every day. Think about which species would be the nucleophile and the electrophile. Then, you can start to piece together what would happen. You can also group similar reactions together. It is just practice.

Reactions: 1 user
I took EXTREMELY thorough notes from Chad's and then looked at them every single day until they were firmly engrained in my memory. Then, I did each BC organic test multiple times and was sure I understood why I get them either wrong or right. I probably did each at least 5 times. I think OC is a very high yielding section. If you put in the work, you can do very well.

Reactions: 1 user