Organic II grade

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Perseverance

Full Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just finished my sophomore year and I received my grades for the following classes:

Microeconomics- A
General Biology II-C
General Bio lab- B
Organic Chem II- D

I was so pissed and upset, i just wanted kill myself. This semester was just out of place due to the tragedy that had occurred at my school (I currently attend at NIU). It affected me so much because I actually walked past the the hall and saw kids running out of the hall after coming out of class but I didn't pay attention b/c I was having a bad day. Ironically, my brother was supposed to go that class but I was so glad that he didn't go. After the event, I had a delayed response to it and it just affected my concentration and focus for all of my classes, especially organic II. I was doing so well up until that day and I thought to myself, "Am I going to make it? Am I going to be alright?" I'm sorry If I'm venting right now and making it seem like I just want attention from other people. I really have a passion to become a pharmacist and I just don't want anything to stop me from pursuing that opportunity. I don't know what pharmacy schools will think of this but I was wondering if anyone else had similiar experience or just a crappy semester in general? Positive comments would be great.
 
I just finished my sophomore year and I received my grades for the following classes:

Microeconomics- A
General Biology II-C
General Bio lab- B
Organic Chem II- D

I was so pissed and upset, i just wanted kill myself. This semester was just out of place due to the tragedy that had occurred at my school (I currently attend at NIU). It affected me so much because I actually walked past the the hall and saw kids running out of the hall after coming out of class but I didn't pay attention b/c I was having a bad day. Ironically, my brother was supposed to that class but I was so glad that he didn't go. After the event, I had a delayed response to it and it just affected my concentration and focus for all of my classes, especially organic II. I was doing so well up until that day and I thought to myself, "Am I going to make it? Am I going to be alright?" I'm sorry If I'm venting right now and making it seem like I just want attention from other people. I really have a passion to become a pharmacist and I just don't want anything to stop me from pursuing that opportunity. I don't know what pharmacy schools will think of this but I was wondering if anyone else had similiar experience or just a crappy semester in general? Positive comments would be great.

Just retake the class for a better grade. It's not that big of a deal as long as your other grades are good and you have an upward trend from here. There's a place on the apps for you to explain any hardships or circumstances so you can explain why you did poorly this semester.
 
I'm sorry you had to deal with that, it must have been hard. If you truly have a passion for becoming a pharmacist, that's going to help you the most. I agree, just retake the class, a few bumps in the road aren't going to ruin anything if this is what you are committed to achieving. I had a C in evolutionary biology my freshman year. Now here I sit, and I just finished my first year at UB's pharmacy school. I had to kick butt in all my other math/science courses to make up for that grade though. If you retake the course and really focus on all of your other classes you'll be fine. Stick with it, you'll get there. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know how you feel. I got a C in GenBio and C- in GenChem last fall as a new freshman. I am retaking my chemistry this summer. I just have to work hard and show that upwards trend and get as many high grades from here on out. You probably have as much passion as me to become a pharmacist, so don't give up hope and do what you have to do.

On a related note, does anyone have insight on being accepted after 2 years with Cs? I am applying for matriculation after my upcoming sophomore year.
 
Dear Perseverance,

I believe that one of the most important traits of a great pharmacist is compassion. With that, may peace and blessings come to your school as I know that is an experience that no one would want to go through. I am sure that must have been extremely difficult and traumatizing, therefore many prayers are with you and your school to return everything back to somewhat normal once again. On the same note, I do not believe that nay professional school would hold one grade against you. Honestly, you came out okay with your other grades from a semester that was far from easy emotionally and academically. You did your best considering the situation, and if a school would hold that grade against you, than that probably is not the kind of program you are looking for anyways. We are all human and must learn to give and receive compassion in our lives.
My personal example, for which I am not making a comparison to yours, simply sharing is: I went to Tulane University in New Orleans, then Hurricane Katrina hit and all my plans had to change. I decided to attend another school, and it was hard to readjust after seeing utter destruction. I withdrew from all of my classes during one semester, and I thought it would look bad. Then an admissions committee told me that if all your bad grades or "W's" are in one semester than the committee will seek an explanation in your personal statement or Interview. Many college students have a bad semester for a variety of reasons from family or parent's divorce to stress or extenuating circumstances. They will understand that things happen, and there may be something more important than grades that semester. Trust me though, you will be fine. No need to think bad thoughts or put to much pressure on yourself. I have always been a perfectionist, and I am just now learning that it is okay to make a mistake. And, that getting all A's is not the norm, and it does not have to be done always. ESPECIALLY. when life events are happening that make it difficult for you. Just let your dreams guide you, know that there are friends and people on here to help, and keep your head up. If you believe it is possible and you believe in yourself, you can become a pharmacist. Your name says it all, Perseverance. You can do it, especially if your heart is in the right place!
All the best of luck! 🙂
Let me know if I can help!
God Bless!
 
Thank you guys, I really appreciate the support you have given me. I too am somewhat of a perfectionist, but I've come to realize that we are vulnerable and that we have to enjoy what we have in our life and give it our best.

on another note, I'm actually working on my bachelor's degree in chemistry (emphasis in pre-professional chem) too so hopefully that will help me in the long run as well as the PCAT and EC's.