Apr 6, 2010
Status
For DO Schools that require 2 organic chemistry courses, would it be possible to use Orgo 1/lab and Biochem/Organic Chem 2 lab?

Thanks

cliffhuxtableDO

Hand sanitizer on deck
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2008
Status
Medical Student
You will need to contact each school of interest directly. I have a feeling you'll need both semesters of Orgo though.

BioENG 215

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2009
Philadelphia
Status
Pre-Medical
For DO Schools that require 2 organic chemistry courses, would it be possible to use Orgo 1/lab and Biochem/Organic Chem 2 lab?

Thanks
whattodonow2010,

From my recent experience, many of the schools I applied to required both Organic Chem I and II as well as Organic Lab I and II. You can check for course pre-requisites for each individual school at:

http://www.aacom.org/Pages/default.aspx

mspeedwagon

7+ Year Member
Oct 20, 2009
Florida
Status
Medical Student
Agree with the posted below. I can't even got out of orgo II lab and I have already taken orgo I + lab, orgo II and biochem.

whattodonow2010,

From my recent experience, many of the schools I applied to required both Organic Chem I and II as well as Organic Lab I and II. You can check for course pre-requisites for each individual school at:

http://www.aacom.org/Pages/default.aspx

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical

Thanks
I think theres a number of schools that will allow you to substitute Biochem for Orgo 2...it varies by school so just check with those you plan on applying. They usually don't put it on the website so e-mail or call them up

da Vincis World

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Taking orgo II will keep a lot more doors open for you...just take it. You need to know it anyway for the MCAT.

gatewasani

10+ Year Member
Dec 24, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Taking orgo II will keep a lot more doors open for you...just take it. You need to know it anyway for the MCAT.

I disagree with this, you definitely do not NEED organic 2 for the mcat.

I figure, worse case scenario is the school asks you to take it over the summer before you start or something, but I don't think they would reject it just based off that plus, like I said earlier, A lot of school accept biochem in place of organic 2.

MLT2MT2DO

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]

I figure, worse case scenario is the school asks you to take it over the summer before you start or something, but I don't think they would reject it just based off that plus, like I said earlier, A lot of school accept biochem in place of organic 2.

It must matter what your Ochems cover. I didn't learn about 1/2 of this http://www.goldstandard-mcat.com/organic-chemistry-mechanisms/ list until the beginning of Ochem2

da Vincis World

10+ Year Member
Oct 25, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]

Excuse me, need was the wrong word....it is nice to have for the MCAT and is needed to matriculate at many med schools.

Jun 25, 2009
Status
Just take Orgo 2. It will make your life easier when you apply.