Organic Inquiry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodonow2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For DO Schools that require 2 organic chemistry courses, would it be possible to use Orgo 1/lab and Biochem/Organic Chem 2 lab?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You will need to contact each school of interest directly. I have a feeling you'll need both semesters of Orgo though.

For DO Schools that require 2 organic chemistry courses, would it be possible to use Orgo 1/lab and Biochem/Organic Chem 2 lab?

Thanks

whattodonow2010,

From my recent experience, many of the schools I applied to required both Organic Chem I and II as well as Organic Lab I and II. You can check for course pre-requisites for each individual school at:

http://www.aacom.org/Pages/default.aspx

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with the posted below. I can't even got out of orgo II lab and I have already taken orgo I + lab, orgo II and biochem.

whattodonow2010,

From my recent experience, many of the schools I applied to required both Organic Chem I and II as well as Organic Lab I and II. You can check for course pre-requisites for each individual school at:

http://www.aacom.org/Pages/default.aspx

Thanks

I think theres a number of schools that will allow you to substitute Biochem for Orgo 2...it varies by school so just check with those you plan on applying. They usually don't put it on the website so e-mail or call them up

Taking orgo II will keep a lot more doors open for you...just take it. You need to know it anyway for the MCAT.

Taking orgo II will keep a lot more doors open for you...just take it. You need to know it anyway for the MCAT.

I disagree with this, you definitely do not NEED organic 2 for the mcat.

I figure, worse case scenario is the school asks you to take it over the summer before you start or something, but I don't think they would reject it just based off that plus, like I said earlier, A lot of school accept biochem in place of organic 2.

I figure, worse case scenario is the school asks you to take it over the summer before you start or something, but I don't think they would reject it just based off that plus, like I said earlier, A lot of school accept biochem in place of organic 2.

It must matter what your Ochems cover. I didn't learn about 1/2 of this http://www.goldstandard-mcat.com/organic-chemistry-mechanisms/ list until the beginning of Ochem2

Excuse me, need was the wrong word....it is nice to have for the MCAT and is needed to matriculate at many med schools.

Just take Orgo 2. It will make your life easier when you apply.