Organic Question-please help!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopeful dental

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Could someone help me understand this question....I won't use verbatim, but basically the question is asking:

If you have an alkane with a methyl group and a halogen on the same carbon accompanied with (let's say) a sodium cyanide in ethanol what would be the results?

A. the retention of absolute configuration
B. the formation of a racemic mixture
C. the elimination of HCL
D. the inversion of absolute configuration
E. the formation of optically inactive products

I picked B because I thought that this reaction would be considered an SN1 reaction because of the protic solvent....thus SN1 reactions give you racemic products.

The correct answer is E.....why E???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Could someone help me understand this question....I won't use verbatim, but basically the question is asking:

If you have an alkane with a methyl group and a halogen on the same carbon accompanied with (let's say) a sodium cyanide in ethanol what would be the results?

I picked B because I thought that this reaction would be considered an SN1 reaction because of the protic solvent....thus SN1 reactions give you racemic products.

I believe this is in Kaplan BB, chiral centers come in either R or S. An R will rotate plane-polarized light to a certain degree one way and the S will do the exact amount but opposite way together the net is optically inactive products because of cancellation. However, B is also right, a racemic mixture contains equal amounts of R and S, so I can see why your confused, I guess maybe its because E not only includes B, but states its also inactive....:rolleyes:

Hi guys,

I don't like this question, because you can pick the answer B somehow. if there wasn't "E" in answers, for sure the B is correct, think racemic mixture is not meaning optically inactive it can be different percentage of "D" and "L" for example 30% and 70% then it is not optically inactive. Racemic mixture is inactive when it 50-50 for this reason we choose E.
as I said I don't like this question

yeah, I don't like this question either....the crazy thing is this is a question from a Kaplan test!!! Oh, well, I'll go back to the Kaplan book and see what's up....thanks for the comments....I appreciate it.

Members don't see this ad :)