Organic question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meeginvee

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to convert a Newman projection to a Fischer projection? There was a question in Destroyer where you had to do this. Please help!

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

draw the front carbon as you see it. Same for the back carbon, just flip the left and right substituents

draw the front carbon as you see it. Same for the back carbon, just flip the left and right substituents

If you dont mind, can you show me an example so I can visualize it? Because sometimes with staggered and eclipsed positioning, I don't know how to convert them

assign r and s. if you have trouble assigning r and s to a newman, convert the newman into a skeletal, assign r/s, then draw a fischer and make sure your r/s match up. Yes, it is a roundabout way, but if you can visualize newman in 3d and used your model kit back in the day, it is not too bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
do r and s.

or watch this.

was this not taught to you in your intro organic class? its rather fundamental....

you can get R/S for the chiral carbons and let those be the carbon created by intersecting lines on fischer.
Then attach your subsituents correctly to get correct configuration(r/s)