Orgo 2 Requirement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zayna06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that most schools will accept biochem for the orgo 2 requirement. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

I remember organic 2 and biochemistry being very different. I believe organic 2 is a required course, and biochemisty is a strongly suggested course for most dental schools, if I recall correctly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Zayna06 said:
I heard that most schools will accept biochem for the orgo 2 requirement. Is this true?

I've read that on some school's websites. Best bet would be to double check with each school.

As far as i know, O-Chem 2 is a requirement and Biochemistry is strongly suggested by most dental schools. I would recommend checking with the dental school.

Zayna06 said:
It's the other way around. Most require orgo 2 and a handfull will take one semester of each. That also means you have to take biochem lab ,and let me tell you from experience (I took both) o-chem 2 lab is much easier.

In my school, orgo 2 was a pre-rec for biochemistry.

For you GA residents, MCG requires a semster of Orgo I + lab, and either Orgo II + lab OR a semester of biochem (lab not required). But I would strongly suggest taking Orgo I and II if not mainly for prep for DAT. I'm taking a survey biochem class with no lab in the fall myself.

Most schools require both halves of Ochem. Some schools only require the first half. And a few schools allow you to take Ochem I and then either Ochem II or BioChem.