Orgo [emoji24]

Started by jmiam2
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jmiam2

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please someone tell me organic chemistry isn’t important in vet school…. I’m in orgo 1 right now and it became a new language, I don’t understand any of what I’m learning right now (chapter 9 and 10) for 1 of the schools I’m applying to which is also my #1 choice and in state for me requires orgo 2 and I cannot put myself through that again. Please I need reassurance!!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Please someone tell me organic chemistry isn’t important in vet school…. I’m in orgo 1 right now and it became a new language, I don’t understand any of what I’m learning right now (chapter 9 and 10) for 1 of the schools I’m applying to which is also my #1 choice and in state for me requires orgo 2 and I cannot put myself through that again. Please I need reassurance!!!
An earlier edition of this book helped me a lot: Amazon product ASIN 1133951880
 
There are very very few key terms I learned in vet school that I continued to need to know in school/ beyond. Things like enantiomers, and chirality.

But it’s a very very basic sense of things. It’s helpful in for pharmaceuticals to have a general background of what’s going on when they use big terms like dimethylsulfoxide or how prednisolone is different than methylprednisone.

But in terms of getting the job done and being a vet? No it doesn’t really matter
 
i withdrew from organic 1 twice, and i'm currently a first year. my school has a biochem course but we haven't talked about orgo at all, and i hear we probably won't much, if at all. for surviving the class, i found doing practice problem after practice problem from this one book -- Organic Chemistry as a Second Language -- really helped. at the end of the day in orgo, there's only so many ways they can ask a question.

here's the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Organic-Chemistry-Second-Language-Semester/dp/111949348X/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2PKV06EF51ZJ4&keywords=organic+chemistry+as+a+second+language&qid=1648479261&sprefix=organic+chemistry%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-1
 
Not sure when you're taking Orgo 2, but I also recommend Organic Chemistry as a Second Language for both Orgo 1 & 2 - I had a disastrous time in every chemistry class up until Biochem. I didn't fail any of them, but I got straight Cs in all of gen chem, a C+ in orgo 1, and a D+ in orgo 2. I retook gen chem 2 & orgo 2, got As (after working my butt off and changing schools), and had zero trouble in Biochem 1 or 2. I had to reapply a second cycle, but I got into 5 out of the 11 schools I applied to, and I did just fine my first semester at Ohio State! (The rest of first year & my currently dropping into the next class are a complicated story & not at all related to academic performance. Yaaaaay medical issues).

So, don't fret, Orgo is tough on virtually everyone!