orgo lab before orgo lectures

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chocchipcookie

yummy yummy doodlepie
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
i've been trying to get into an intro to orgo class this summer so that i can take biochem in the fall, but the one class i found is full and the school is craptastic so no one is ever at the offices and no one bothers to answer the phone or my e-mails. if it doesn't open up, i was thinking of taking orgo lab.

several people have said that i don't need lecture to take the lab and that i should be fine, though i may need to read some of the lab information a bit more closely.

thoughts? i don't want to not take a class for session 2, and i would really like to take something orgo-y before i start the lecture series next year.

Members don't see this ad.

At my school, the orgo labs were fine to do without a lecture. BUT the lab midterm and final were heavy on concepts from lectures. If I didn't take the lecture beforehand, I would have bombed the tests but did fine in lab.

at my school, there would be graded pre-lab questions and quizes that required you to know orgo concepts you should've learned in lectures, so i wouldn't have recommended taking the lab before orgo I. but if students at your school who have taken the lab said it's fine, i think it's fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
There would be no way you could take a lab class without the lecture when I took it... Way too much content taken from lecture. This is especially true during tests that ask for theory to be applied to the lab setting. Other schools might be different though.

hmm, okay. best not to chance it then, since i have only 2 days to drop the class. i'll just keep my fingers crossed for a spot to open up in the other. thanks for the input!

Have you talked to the professor about it? Usually they are willing to help you get into the class (at least the profs I have had to talk to always seemed willing to help me)

Either way, I hope for the best getting a seat in the lecture class! :thumbup:

i've been trying to get into an intro to orgo class this summer so that i can take biochem in the fall, but the one class i found is full and the school is craptastic so no one is ever at the offices and no one bothers to answer the phone or my e-mails. if it doesn't open up, i was thinking of taking orgo lab.

several people have said that i don't need lecture to take the lab and that i should be fine, though i may need to read some of the lab information a bit more closely.

thoughts? i don't want to not take a class for session 2, and i would really like to take something orgo-y before i start the lecture series next year.

If your whole purpose was to take biochemistry in the fall, you need to be in orgo lecture this summer. But if you can't be in the lecture, is it worth taking the lab by itself? Taking the lab in summer won't you get into biochemistry class in the fall.

Taking lab+lecture at same time is recommended in my opinion and it will help you to understand more in detail. If there was no lecture, the lab I was in would have been hard and confusing.

If your whole purpose was to take biochemistry in the fall, you need to be in orgo lecture this summer. But if you can't be in the lecture, is it worth taking the lab by itself? Taking the lab in summer won't you get into biochemistry class in the fall.

Taking lab+lecture at same time is recommended in my opinion and it will help you to understand more in detail. If there was no lecture, the lab I was in would have been hard and confusing.

well, i do have to take the lab eventually, so i figured it's something rather than nothing. i know the lab alone won't get me into biochem, but it would save me some time next year. i appreciate the advice.

Have you talked to the professor about it? Usually they are willing to help you get into the class (at least the profs I have had to talk to always seemed willing to help me)

Either way, I hope for the best getting a seat in the lecture class! :thumbup:

i've e-mailed the professor twice and the department head, but as i said, this school is really just awful and unorganized and absolutely no one has gotten back to me. i keep trying to see if the department will let me sit in on the lecture the first day in case someone drops so i can snatch up the seat, but no luck. thanks for the well wishes! i hope it works out also!