Orgo Lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrWorkNeverDone

Carters Mistress
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
okay two of the questions for my lab have me stump! Can anyone help me decide?

The lab is dealing with esters(banana oil) one of the questions im totally stumped and the other i have an idea what it could be but don't know if it is correct.

1. One method for favoring the formation of an ester is to add excess acetic acid. Suggest another method, involving the right-hand side of the equation that will favor the formation of the ester

Could it be to lessen the concentration of the product? Since the reaction overall wants to be in equilibrium?

2. WHy is it easier to remove excess acetic acid from the product than excess isopentyl alcohol?

Because acetic acid is more electronegative than isopentyl alcohol?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Members don't see this ad.

whats the chemical equation you are using for this rxn? if its acetic acid + alcohol -> ester...

you can also add more alcohol

i could but it has to be on the right side

Members don't see this ad :)
the reaction is with acetic acid and isopentyl alcohol to make isopentyl acetate

DrWorkNeverDone said:
okay two of the questions for my lab have me stump! Can anyone help me decide?

The lab is dealing with esters(banana oil) one of the questions im totally stumped and the other i have an idea what it could be but don't know if it is correct.

1. One method for favoring the formation of an ester is to add excess acetic acid. Suggest another method, involving the right-hand side of the equation that will favor the formation of the ester

Could it be to lessen the concentration of the product? Since the reaction overall wants to be in equilibrium?

2. WHy is it easier to remove excess acetic acid from the product than excess isopentyl alcohol?

Because acetic acid is more electronegative than isopentyl alcohol?

Thanks for any help you can give!

1) I agree with what you mentioned. If you constantly remove the product, then you will force the equilibrium to the right by Chatelier's principle because you want to correct the change made by decreasing the product and hence will make more of it.

2) Acetic acid is charged in basic and neutral solutions so you can separate isopentyl alcohol from the acetic acid. Also, acetic acid would not hydrogen bond as readily because it is usually charged.

Man i love you guys :love: thanks for all your help!