Orgo question -- NOT HOMEWORK HELP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Just Joshin

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an exam in about an hour and I thought I got it, but my study group just totally confused me because two of our members are lost. I just want to make sure I'm understanding this.

In an SN1 reaction, there are two products. You substitute one, then you switch two groups and that's because it's a 2-step process?

In an SN2 reaction, it's a 1-step process and there's only one product so you do the substitution and switch two groups simultaneously and end up with only one product.

Is that right or do I have it totally wrong? Please help.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It was a conceptual question, not a question about a specific problem and it isn't for homework. I wanted to make sure I understood the concept of SN1 reactions and I would have asked my professor, but my exam is at 1:30 and he's in a class until 1:15 so I didn't want to risk it and miss it in case he was in the faculty lounge or bathroom or something before the exam. Like I said, I studied and thought I knew it really well, but today's study group meeting which was meant for review, confused me because two of my group members didn't study and thought the rest of us were just going to tutor them. I left there to go back over my notes, but just wanted to doublecheck with people who I knew know their stuff.

Sorry if I offended you by posting it.

How is this not homework help?

Quit being an ass.

There was nothing wrong with the question. It wasn't a homework problem or a take-home test problem. It was conceptual. If we start banning those questions, this board will be nothing more than a "what are my chances" and "guess where I got in" board.