orgo question

Started by ScottW3
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ScottW3

Senior Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I might be missing something but i can't figure out how they got the answer to this.

attachment.php


I think its A (the most substituted alkene), but topscore says B.
 

Attachments

It's not A because for elim to occur like this, Br and the adj H have to be anti peri-planar (ie: both axial pointing 180 degrees apart).
Neel.
 
I remember seeing this question on Top Score test. Methoxide is a small base, so it should create the more substituted alkene, where as a bulkier base will create a less substituted alkene.

But like the nhp says, elimination requires the bromide and the hydrogen to be anti-periplaner, so the answer should be B.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad