(Orgo) What reactant is used in the deprotection step?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Roy Williams

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know a carbonyl can be protected by using OHCH2CH2OH AND H+, but how do I then get it back to a carbonyl?

For some reason I'm thinking it's just H3O+, but I can't find anywhere if that's correct or not.

So if anyone could just give me conformation on the reactants for protection and deprotection that would be awesome.

Thanks!
 
I believe so. just looked at couple rxns and saw water being used. same principle.
protect4.gif
 
I know a carbonyl can be protected by using OHCH2CH2OH AND H+, but how do I then get it back to a carbonyl?

For some reason I'm thinking it's just H3O+, but I can't find anywhere if that's correct or not.

So if anyone could just give me conformation on the reactants for protection and deprotection that would be awesome.

Thanks!

Yes....H30+ works great.