Orientation boredom?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

megacolon

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I am in the midst of orientation like many of my fellow interns. I am out to see what was the most ridiculous part of your orientation week. I am trying to decide whether it was the 2 hour lecture we had learning about this new virus called HIV that seems to be a problem vs. the 3 hours I spent watching a nurse chart and the hour I spent after 'reflecting' on my experience. All in the name of interdisciplinary appreciation.

If you've got something good...er...bad...post it up, vent away, and give us all a good laugh before the hell of our intern year begins. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Sexual Harrassment: A 45-minute video.

Seriously.

bigfrank said:

Seriously.

Why does it take 45 minutes to learn to slap that A ;)

Obedeli said:
Why does it take 45 minutes to learn to slap that A ;)

Angle and strength of force. It matters.

Our orientation last year was 2 weeks long. Saturday and Sunday was our ATLS class, 8-5 both days.

Have no fear...I still have this week chocked full of more orientation fun. But at least we can start paging each other if we get bored like we did when we used to be med students.

I haven't had formal orientation yet, but I spent all day yesterday doing various web-based training modules that are required before starting - HIPAA, internet security, etc.

The internet security one was particulary snoozeworthy. It included - among other things - several pages about the difference between viruses, worms, spyware, adware. And how to choose a secure password. It actually said "Instead of choosing a password like MiamiVice try mI@m1V!cE." :laugh:

I particularly enjoyed the part where they handed us crayons and told us to draw how we felt right then. I said I felt insulted and then ate the crayon. :D

Hurricane said:
It actually said "Instead of choosing a password like MiamiVice try mI@m1V!cE." :laugh:

:laugh: we had a video on choosing a password and they gave gave us a similar example and then told us not to use the example they used. :rolleyes:

You guys are making me very glad that
1. My orientation was only 5 days
and
2. 3 of the days were BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP

They only managed to completely waste my time for 2 days. :thumbup:

Blade28 said:
Our orientation last year was 2 weeks long. Saturday and Sunday was our ATLS class, 8-5 both days.

Holy ****, what did you do for 2 wks?? Our orientation was only 1 day, plus ATLS. Of course, we did have to do some other stuff on our own (get IDs, take the computer training course, etc.)

And yes, it was boring. ;)

Amy said:
Holy ****, what did you do for 2 wks?? Our orientation was only 1 day, plus ATLS. Of course, we did have to do some other stuff on our own (get IDs, take the computer training course, etc.)

Ours is also 2 weeks long. We're doing tons of certification stuff, lots of mind-numbing HIPAA-type orientation stuff, and then mixed in here and there is a hike or a white water rafting trip. Yeah, Colorado rocks!

bigfrank said:

Seriously.

Oh yeah. If I have to watch one more sexual harassment video, I swear I'm going to hit on someone.

Blade28 said:

Same here. Two weeks long. Very painful.

And UNPAID. :mad:

Amy said:

A ton of stupid days - paperwork, HIPAA, OSHA, lining up for hours to get ID cards, parking permits, PPDs, sexual harassment videos, research lectures, etc., etc., etc.

All unpaid.

My orientation was six online modules completed on our own time in about 30 minutes and two 8 am to noon days.

Explain to me how these places can get away with not paying you to attend training you're required to have. Has anyone tried to challenge this? I'm not saying I don't believe it--I do. I just don't see how it can be legal.

fab4fan said:
Explain to me how these places can get away with not paying you to attend training you're required to have. Has anyone tried to challenge this? I'm not saying I don't believe it--I do. I just don't see how it can be legal.
We're actually getting paid for our two weeks of orientation. If we weren't, I think we'd be complaining a lot more than we are...

Yeah, but Blade28 and DOtobe aren't. I don't see how that can be legal, since it's required.

fab4fan said:

This happens in other professions, too. I don't think it is illegal to have unpaid training as requirement for a position.

I'm not being paid for my internship orientation. I didn't get paid for my orientation when I was a public school teacher. My husband didn't get paid for training for various jobs as a stock broker. It really isn't that unusual.

DrMom said:
This happens in other professions, too. I don't think it is illegal to have unpaid training as requirement for a position.

I'm not being paid for my internship orientation. I didn't get paid for my orientation when I was a public school teacher. My husband didn't get paid for training for various jobs as a stock broker. It really isn't that unusual.

Sometimes it takes a class action lawsuit to to get corporations to own up to the fact that they are trying to pull a fast one on the employees by forcing them to work without compensation.

In my 24-year employment history, I have never not been paid for orientation. I think it actually is illegal. But as the poster above says, as long as people keep letting them get away with it, they'll keep doing it.

DrMom said:
3 of the days were BLS/ACLS/PALS/NRP

What about if you were already qualified in all of these? What if you were qualified toTEACH all of these? :laugh:

fab4fan said:

Just my observation: after four years of undergrad taking **** with a smile for fear of not getting into medical school, Followed by four years of medical school taking it up the a$$ from the administration, attendings and nurses and begging for more because you're afraid of a bad evaluation...I think most people in this situation are well trained to sit and smile and nod while being dicked over.

DropkickMurphy said:
What about if you were already qualified in all of these? What if you were qualified toTEACH all of these? :laugh:

They want all of us on the same renewal schedule. I guess if you were qualified to teach them all, then it would be an easy 3 days. *shrug*

DropkickMurphy said:

You are a qualified NRP instructor?

I'm genuinely impressed as among other things you have to teach 2 courses every two years which is a lot of work to keep up the teaching cert for NRP!

By the way, I hate to tell all the new residents but you'll be watching that sexual harrassment video or doing an on-line module every few years for the rest of your medical career. Just remember that you're NOT allowed to give a good morning hug or besito to your 60 yr old Mexican-American secretary :rolleyes: even though she may consider that just being polite. (That really was on our "exam" we had to take last yr).

Regards

OBP

dynx said:
Just my observation: after four years of undergrad taking **** with a smile for fear of not getting into medical school, Followed by four years of medical school taking it up the a$$ from the administration, attendings and nurses and begging for more because you're afraid of a bad evaluation...I think most people in this situation are well trained to sit and smile and nod while being dicked over.

:laugh:

They already know you are a sucker. After all they've just hired you for $10 per hour for the next three years after you have completed and paid for 8 years of undergraduate and graduate education.

You are a qualified NRP instructor?

I'm genuinely impressed as among other things you have to teach 2 courses every two years which is a lot of work to keep up the teaching cert for NRP!

Not yet, but I am trying to become one.

Here's what you tell them when they tell you when they try to get you to do something you don't like DrMom:
adminsclean-1.jpg

DropkickMurphy said:
Here's what you tell them when they tell you when they try to get you to do something you don't like DrMom:
adminsclean-1.jpg

:laugh:

Somehow, I think that'd cut down on the liklihood of actually receiving a paycheck. ;)