Orientation on time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pisiform

Oh Crap!!!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my story is I am few days late in graduating med school, my last rotation will end sometime June 15 but I would already have graduation at the end of May but will get real diploma on June 16th.

I asked our school's Dean and I was told I would be okay to apply programs since I would be able to start on July 1st (and I only applied DO/AOA program which also take students off cycle)

Two of the program I interviewed at have orientation starting on like Jun 3rd and June 13th .. but most are at the end of June like 23rd or so for which I would be okay.

For those starting orientation in June 3rd and 13th (actual rotation starts July 1st), can I still rank them? I never asked them during the interview but I was wondering if I end up matching there provided I rank, would they void my contract since I won't be able to attend the first few days of orientation?

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Legally, yes. But the best option is to ask those programs, so it's not a surprise. Especially if they told you when orientation begins.

Reactions: 1 users
WTF are you asking us that question for? As if anyone would know. Ask the programs.

If it is a large (>10 residents per year ish) then they may be more readily able to accommodate your schedule than a very small program where they need workers.

Also, depending on your specialty and institution your orientiation might be very short and right before starting in July. I had like a 3 day orientation and didn't have to report until around June 25th.

I've never heard of orientation starting as soon as June 3, that's ridiculous and several schools haven't even had their diploma ceremonies yet. The earliest I knew of was around mid-June but this was only a few.

If it is a large (>10 residents per year ish) then they may be more readily able to accommodate your schedule than a very small program where they need workers.

Also, depending on your specialty and institution your orientiation might be very short and right before starting in July. I had like a 3 day orientation and didn't have to report until around June 25th.

I've never heard of orientation starting as soon as June 3, that's ridiculous and several schools haven't even had their diploma ceremonies yet. The earliest I knew of was around mid-June but this was only a few.

Yea I know. I spoke to my school, they said either I could do my last rotation which is an elective at the site where I match OR I could do EM rotation since it only has 12 shifts and schedule them all early and get done

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah, residencies really vary when it comes to orientation start dates. I've heard some as early as June 5th, which in my opinion is ridiculous. My graduation is on May 28th. Not everyone has 1-3 mos off before residency starts.

I know it's too late for you to change anything, but I think you would have been fine ranking all the programs, then working it out afterwards to shorten your rotation (e.g. with EM) if you really need to.

Reactions: 1 user