orlando 4th yr rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

monkeyarms

jello wrestler
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
anybody out there who rotated through or is a resident at orlando regional? i am seriously considering rotating there and just wondered what people think of the rotation. i understand the residency training is well thought of and i have run a search here to see what has been posted. it was a little scant. anyone care to add to the literature? thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

I did rotate there last yr in June/July... PM with specific questions.

Here is an excerpt of a PM I sent...

I was there during their transition of the 4th yr rotation. The new way it was set up was that you had a teaching resident who you basically went to and flushed out your thinking and plan and then presented to an attending. Their only job is to teach you so you learn a ton.

The patient population is quite interesting because you see everyone, from the homeless +EtOH guy to some tourist from Disney to some very $$$ people. The area east of the hospital (where you can stay for about $250 for the month) (other perks include a lot of free food) is a very very nice area but whats funny is that the areas to the north and south are not nearly as nice.

The volume is good always something to do. Whats nice is that you dont work ANY overnight shifts, the student shifts are from 6-2 or 2-10 or 7-3 then 3 to 11. To be honest it was one way and then they changed it and I cant remember which way it is.
They work 12's 7-7.

They have a good bit of trauma but med students dont do too much there except suture but you can watch. They have more blunt trauma and Peds Trauma than I saw at Cook and another hospital in Chicago but not nearly as much penetrating. A lot of the attendings will let you do what you want. I had a pt who was in the middle of an MI and me and the sr took care of her and got her up to the cath lab. Another attending let me try to set a dislocated hip. You also work some Peds shifts and do 1 "shift" of EMS ride a long and 1 more "shift" of Flying in the chopper.

The attendings are awesome. I got along very very well with all of them but one. They are expecting to open their separate Peds ED soon and Mark Clark will be running that part of it. He is awesome, he did his fellowship at CHOP which is one of the best Peds hospitals in the US. John O Brien is the asst PD and as one of the residents there told me "the most important person to impress if you want a residency here". Dr Silvesrti the PD didnt spend a lot of time in the ED when I was there, not sure if he was on vacation. A lot of the research is focused on Drug trials and as such they have a decent bit of $$$ for resident activities. Also they are a strong presence in the hospital because Dr Falk is not only EM faculty but also the Academic Chair so he has a lot of pull.

Overall, I thought the residents got a long well they hung out together and really enjoyed being there. I really liked their program. If you have other Qs PM again.

muchas gracias....sending pm